Pain!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone. I had tailors bunion surgery ten weeks ago and have been back in work for two. I'm a teacher, so I'm on my feet a lot but in the last week, the pain around my scar is awful. I'm not wearing shoes that rub, and I had no pain at all until this week. The pain is enough to make me cry. Any advice? thank you

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I can't help i'm afraid but just wanted to say that my scar is feeling odd too. It's been numb since the surgery, but the last few days i'm getting a stabbing pain occasionally and it aches/throbs. My surgery was 6 weeks ago.
  • Posted

That's the same pain I have. Stabbing and throbbing. I don't want to waste drs time if it just needs to rest
  • Posted

My mum thinks its nerves knitting back together, but that doesnt help the pain! I've been massaging the scar with BioOil 3 times a day which is helping with the sensitivity but not the stabbing pain.
  • Posted

Think Emma is right - the stabbing pain is our feet repairing. Try and sit down at work where you can

I am going to do 2 days a week from week 4 but I own a café so can pace myself. Teaching must be hard.

Good Luck

Jill

Devon UK

• Posted

You poor thing. I do hope the pain eases soon.

I wonder if there is anything out there that can ease the pain for you? I am also a teacher so understand the need to be on your feet and I do sympathise as it can be no fun.

There seems to be answer to everything on the internet so I will do a google search.

Best Wishes

Older Beth

• Posted

Thank you both for your advice x
  • Posted

I did a google search but couldn't really find out anything.

If it continues you might want to make a phone call to ask for some advice or reassurance. There is nothing to be gained in suffering in silence after all and there might be something you can do to relieve the pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

Older Beth

• Posted

This if for everyone of you who have had bunion surgery and return to work 2 weeks or less after the operation. I am reading lots of reports from you that you're experiencing pain. Also, those of you especially who have jobs which involving being on your feet a great deal. Do you actually realise the damage you could ultimately be doing by returning to work so soon? I am not the kind of person to hold back with my opinions and quite frankly I think you are all being very silly. Why is it that schoolteachers think that they have the hardest jobs on the planet? (I have just retired from working as a classroom assistant after ten years) The lady who has her own café to run I can sympathise with. It must be very difficult for this lady and I understand fully why she feels the need to return to work so soon. But, schoolteachers do have cover when they are absent. And given that a planned operation will have given the school plenty of time to get cover/supply teacher in for the duration means that the patient can stay put at home - where she ought to be right now - resting her foot and allowing it to recover at its pace and not hers. I think you need to be off your feet my dear. The school isn't going to stop functioning without you and your pupils will still get their education even if it's another person who's delivering the curriculum. Do you actually want your foot to recover?
  • Posted

Hi - I googled Tailors bunion or Bunionette as I had not heard of it. It does say you can go back to work after a few days, but I expect it depends how large it was.

I would take Beth (older) advice and ring for advice. In the meantime did you use a tailors bunion guard before surgery. It may give you some relief if it is pressure that is causing the pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jan

• Posted

Hi Gillian. I have just read your posting. You were replying at the same time as me.

According to the internet a Tailors bunion surgery doesn't seem to be as invasive as a bunion, so recovery time should be less.

I worked in education before buying our cafe, so I have experience both ends. My job now entails being on my feet all day and I am not going to rush my recovery.. My husband won't let me, even though it is costing us a lot of income.

Yes, teachers can get cover, but they are under pressure to return to work and usually want to help their students, especially if they are secondary students coming up to their exams. There are also financial constraints on schools re cover. I won't bore everyone with that.

That being said, I agree that this lady's health is far more important if she wants long term relief.

All I am saying is that this lady may be following medical advice, but should seek more.

X

• Posted

Hi there,

I had both tailor's bunions operated on when I had the hallux valgus surgery. I find that the tailor's scars/sites are a lot more sore than the bigger ones! I had k-wires in initially but both have since been removed.

I'd recommend buying some arnica gel from Holland & Barrett; it takes the swelling/pain away a little. Keep your feet elevated where you can. It's a bit concerning that you're having that much pain that far after your operation, though. Maybe call your surgical team?

• Posted

Definatly I had bunion and scarf and virtually no pain except 1st couple of days and no bruising or swelling. I am only 2 weeks on and not even using crutches around the house. Arnica tablets must have worked and a plaster cast helps too!!
  • Posted

Just to clarify, I returned to work after eight weeks not two. Didn't claim that teaching was the hardest job in the world either. I'm not a fool and was merely seeking advice on why my scar was hurting after no pain for eight weeks. I am a secondary school teacher and whilst I can easily get cover, the fact is the recovery time states 6 weeks is enough for my type of surgery. I took an extra two to be sure. Obviously I do want my foot to recover. Thank you to all those who have replied without a Gove response.
  • Posted

Just returned from the doctors and have an infection. Guess my easy teaching lifestyle wasn't to blame my dear. I am not one to hold back with my opinions either and quite frankly, reading the post correctly before making assumptions is generally good practice.
  • Posted

You poor thing. You are the first we have heard getting an infection. You must have been in pain.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.