Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I had a bilateral bunionectomy and hallux valgus op.

They had to cut my first metatarsal in each foot to realign the toe. I now have temporary pins in my

Feet (2 pins in each foot) I have below the knee casts on. I was able to weight bear in the hospital

the day after my surgery and did that for the 5 days I was admitted. I have been weight bearing a bit at home and while out and now I'm in a lot of pain it feels like I have tugging for

pulling on the pins sticking out of my feet. It's now 4 weeks post op and I

just want to make sure I won't displace the fracture, and if I did displace it would

I know it? Just curious if pain is normal this far out from surgery day. Can someone maybe help me

out?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Phone the lovely people in the Fracture clinic or your GP and they will advise. My cast felt soggy so they changed it - but I have only 1 foot done and no external pins so different. Get expert advise ref pain, you shouldn't be suffering. Good luck

Jill

Devon UK

• Posted

Good day - I am day 8 now on the right foot. I get that stabbing, throbbing nasty pain when I put my foot down after elevating, and especially after a night's sleep. Can you please tell me how long that awful pain lasted for you - when can I expect it to dissipate and be able to have my foot down more so I can be a bit more functional? I had my left foot done last year and remember this pain, but unfortunately I didn't keep a log so I don't remember how long it lasted. Thank you!
  • Posted

Hi there, do you have a cast on? If you do, the pain may continue until it comes off. sad Your foot is gonna continue to swell for about 8 months to a year (getting better and better every month) but while the cast is on there is no room for your foot to swell. I'm 4 weeks post op and I still get this pain. Try to keep your foot elevated as much as possible. I know it sucks but it will be a lot more comfortable for you.
  • Posted

agree with foot elevation. I too have a plaster cast but no swelling or bruising at all.Taken arnica tablets!!

We are all different. I am day 20 and pretty much mobile now.

• Posted

I think you should check, maybe with your GP. Ive had two Bunion Ops.The latest one a few weeks ago was no problem but on the first op one of the pins slipped and was basically working its way out the side of the toe (that conjures up a grotesque image, sorry, it was not so bad). This made the toe bleed a little and I could feel something, the pin itself, when I touched the area, it was painful. I was seen by the consultant, the foot injected to prevent pain and the offending pin was removed(not replaced) all was then well.

I did talk to them about this and its quite common for a second visit to be needed.

• Posted

Best to get your GP's advice, just to make sure infection hasn't set in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.