Pain 3 months after gallbladder removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've posted on here before and thought I'd send an update. It's now been 5 months after having my gallbladder out and I'm still having issues. I was sick with nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss for 3 straight months after. Then around the 3 month mark I started to get pain in my upper right side where the gallbladder used to be, it will also go into my side and back and is there all day long and can get really intense at times. The pain will also go across my abdomen and over to my left rib area. I am still losing weight and have no appetite, just feel sick and have pain all the time. These pains have been going on for about 2 months straight. I've had so many tests, ct scan, ultrasound, mrcp and an EUS, also a lot of bloodwork, all coming back ok. Has anyone else experienced pain like this that came on months after surgery?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

johnette, I remember you.sorry to hear your going thru all this and they can't find anything.gotta be frustrating?its been alittle over 6 weeks with me.I still get bloating because I'm still having an issue with constipation.sometimes if I turn or bend the wrong way I can feel a tweek where my incisions are.I've been drinking apple cider vinegar with warm water.very good for the digestive track.you should try it for a week see if things settle down.it works for me. good luck

• Posted

johnette, I remember you.sorry to hear your going thru all this and they can't find anything.gotta be frustrating?its been alittle over 6 weeks with me.I still get bloating because I'm still having an issue with constipation.sometimes if I turn or bend the wrong way I can feel a tweek where my incisions are.I've been drinking apple cider vinegar with warm water.very good for the digestive track.you should try it for a week see if things settle down.it works for me. good luck

• Posted

That is exactly the same with me. I thought I was going crazy. I had mine removed in June and still struggle with bloating, constipation and feeling sick after I eat ANYTHING. You would think that after 3 months I would remember that eating anything causes me serious pain and bloating

• Posted

Hi, I am also get pain 5 months after surgery. I get pain in my right and left side still. i have suffered with no appetite since a year before surgery, I still don't have an appetite now. Been sent back to the hospital but not seen anyone for it yet.

I think staying on a low fat diet is still the best thing to do.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, how often are you getting the pain? Is it off and on or is the pain always there? Is it triggered by something? I didn't have the pain until 3 months after surgery. It's just strange how its started and won't go away. Sorry you're going through this, it's very rough.

• Posted

i get the pain on and off, not really sure it's triggered by eating or not. sometimes I get it random, then other times after eating.

• Posted

Hi, pretty much the same really. Started drinking more water during the day, it has seemed to have helped with the pain I feel. I seem to be getting less now. Been back to the hospital about, the symptoms I've had since before surgery, they are ordering more tests. I'm also have my bile salts checked, as I'm not gaining weight and struggling to keep it on. She said people who lose their gallbladder often suffer with this.

How are you getting on now?

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I am still the same. Constant pain in my right side and in my left side now. I am unable to eat much and feel sicker after eating. Still losing weight. Are you doing any better? I

• Posted

Sorry to hear, your having a tough time of it still.

I am still the same, had a few tests done and just waiting for the results of those.

I could manage the pain, I just want the bloating and my appetite to return.

• Posted

HI

Maybe a further issue with your pancreas or common bile duct? Sometimes a stone gets left in or develops afterwards. Often difficult to pick up on scans apparently. Or could be sludge which is notoriously difficult to pick up on scans.

I'd continue to eat a low fat diet and gradually increase fiber if I was you. Also heard that when things get tough, the BRATS diet can help. This is a short term thing that can help settle inflammation and I believe is used in some hospitals: bananas, rice, apple puree, tea and toast. Boring and definitely not a long term solution.

Hope you feel better soon. It does take a long time for things to settle down afterwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.