Pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

I read all the posts and think everyone is doing so much better than me with their recovery

i still don't sleep any more than 2 hours at a time and wake up with pain in the whole of my leg 

day times aren't too bad but I still struggle

the knee is still bruised and swollen 12 weeks on from Op

My bend is good and I can now straighten my knee

any advice  about the pain would be appreciated 

Jean 

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You can't compare you with anyone else - everyone is different. If your bend is good and you can straighten you are doing well.

Have you tried arnica for the bruises? There's cream and homeopathic pills. I used it before knee surgery (not TKR) and the doctors and nurses couldn't believe how little bruising there was for something that is usually really bad for bruising. 

And ignore an ignorant GP - it isn't his pain and he can't possibly know whether you need pain relief or not. Can you try a different member of the practice?

• Posted

Thank you I will give the arnica a try 

and hopefully I will get to see a different GP 

Jean 

• Posted

I had my TKR on 30th June....... excellent going for the first week.. then ALL leg muscles went into spasm, non stop for the next ( almost ) nine weeks ! I could not sit, lie or do anything, other than pace / walk around to be anything like less than agonising pain ! I was given Tramadol, Co-Codamol,Diazapam and a whole host of other meds.... none of which made very much difference ! I was totally demented, as an ex nurse on Othopedics for some 14 years, I had every expectation of being back to  better than normal, within six weeks !! I am now five MONTHS down the line... my knee is still swollen, gets very hot and gives me pain... but the worst pain is in the front of my foot !!  I only sleep for approx 5-6 hours even with the Amtriptyline ( antidepressent, sleep assisting meds ) I now have. I wish I had NEVER had the operation... it has robbed my of my work, my livlihood and my entire personality has changed. NO ONE warns you beforehand that these are reasonably " common " syptoms... I certainly had no idea of the trauma this would cause.  I have nursed countless number of patients whom have had this operation, but only seen them on the ward for a short time pre and post op..... IF I am ever able to return to work, I will be far more empathatic about what the recovery time can, and frequently is, following this operation ! I am a hardy soul normally, so this has really hit me hard, that recovery is taking  such a long time and is so debilitating ! SERIOUSLY... I would NEVER have this operation again !!
    • Posted

Oh Jane

I really do understand what you're saying 

my pain during the night is in my ankle and down the outside of my leg as if the muscles sieze up

i get out of bed ...walk round ....read ....anything so as not to fall asleep and wake up in pain again

my other knee has come out in sympathy ..but there is NO WAY I would have the Op again ...I will crawl first.

there is only one consulation I don't work as I'm 67

i really hope you get back to work eventually

all the best 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jane, 

Sorry yo hear you have had such a bad time. Has the surgeon been able to explain

Why? I can imagine how frustrating it must be. Up to know I  have been lucky. TKR has given me back my life.

Take care 

Christine NZ

• Posted

I really feel for you Jane I must have been one of the lucky ones I saw my Cons last week (8 weeks) who said I had exceptional movement. I am doing almost everything I was before. I wont be going back to work as I couldnt cope with12 hour shifts.

t is so different from seeing people on the ward for a few days, I couldnt do SLR til about 8 days and thought it had failed

My cons is renown in this area and he only does TKR everyone says if your in the North East Mr Deeham is the one to see. He does a TKR in 40 minutes, very litle bleeding and full movement very quickly. Hes man of few words and quite abrupt but he has worked wonders for me

Get well soon and take one day at a time

• Posted

Jane that us horrible what you have been going through. Hope it gets better soon.
  • Posted

Oh sweetheart I really feel for you.  I'm 16 week post op and still have lots of swelling as well although the pain is now is not too bad. I am sleeping much better now but did struggle like everyone else has.  It's awful being constantly sleepy and not being able to sleep longer that a couple of hours at the time.  I don't know about everyone else, but I found the pain seemed worse at night - probably because I was so tired.  Your GP doesn't seem very sympathetic. We are all different and some can leave off their pain relief at 6 weeks others of us need it for a lot longer.  How can any GP tell you that you no longer need pain relief? Is there a different doctor that you could see at your surgery? You know your own body and if it is in pain.  Hope this gets sorted for you very soon xx
    • Posted

The longest amount of time I've slept in the past 4 moths is 2hrs and 10 mins 

pits a ritual to look at the clock every time I wake up 

I try not to sleep during the day as I think it may even stop me from  getting my 2 hrs 

I've got through lots of books and writing pads ( I write funny poetry)

sigh I think I need hitting on the head with a Hammer 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean, I am 45 and 11 weeks FNR.

I know exactly how you feel, I've kept off the forum for a couple of weeks. Felt like a bloody failure! Younger than a lot of people, maybe a little fitter. But this knee ops knocked me for six, confidence and boy do I feel vulnerable.

Had op was okay, had manipulation under anaesthetic was better. But I cant chuffing walk well. Consultant is happy but thinks I should be running... and not using a stick or crutches but my saving grace is this most wonderful physio... she's explained last week that I've walked very poorly for lot of years and it will take months. She recognises how hard I work at home and said not to feel guilty for using any aid, especially this time of year.

So jean... gone off track but feel better for sharing. I am on naproxen and it really does work. But we are all different ...so ladies and gents roll on 2015!

Nikki...x

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

11 weeks. It's early days.  Sounds like you have a great physio. 

Believe in yourself .

Christine NZ

• Posted

Hi Nikki

i feel for you  I was discharged from Physio with a 93 degree bend ..which I honestly didn't think was enough

but saying that you just went in the gym and told to get on with it ..then at the end of the session you would have your bend measured ..not nearly enough care in my eyes

my consultant said ..throw the stick away ...but he doesn't have to struggle 

I wouldn't dare go out without my stick

today I forced myself to look at the knee op on you tube and now I understand why we are going through what we are

take care 

Jean 

• Posted

Aww thank you Christine.

No disrespect but she's older and knows a lot more then some of the younger physios in the hospital. Feel better when I see her for reassurance.

Nikki ...

• Posted

Jean, that is what my physio says. The consultant s done his bit, the knee replacement is good etc.... BUT my physio says now it's the muscles etc and not to beat myself up. She said some consultants don't have a clue about rehab.

Nikki x

• Posted

I can believe that  the GPs and consultants don't understand the pain 

I work really hard with my exercises and now I have the pedal exerciser I'm doing even more 

I wonder if we can do too much 

jean 

• Posted

I feel so fortunate that my knees have kept going for 76 years and  you poor younger ones have to go through all this  I really shouldn't moan

I had a very active life until this knee started playing up 

land I will work to get it back 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean.

Unfortunately I had a consultant at the age of 12 that stripped a lot of my cartledge away. I was a very active teenager with sport and now I pay the price. But I have really learnt whatever the age this is a horrendous op to get over. X

• Posted

Im 69 and was nursing on 12 hour shifts until August so some of us are very fortunate. I also had a consultant who was able to get my op done quickly.
    • Posted

I hope to get back nursing 5th Jan, which will be 8 weeks post op.

In New Zealand everyone gets a pension at 65. I reached that milestone last June so will try and hang in there for a few more months.

Want to know how it feels to be working and not having to drag my leg around. I took half a sleeping tablet last night. Still had to get up to bathroom. Slept well and was unaware of that ghastly ache.

Christine NZ

• Posted

Christine - my husband took early retirement when the NHS got to the stage of not being enjoyable any more. You can accept a lot of nasties as long as there are compensations. However - best thing we ever did! I still translate a bit but the "Crisis" has about done for that, and he does some consultancy in science but is working to pay the deductions which are rather high in Italy.

But being able to choose if we work or not - priceless! I have just got my state pension, he has his NHS pension already, state will be a couple of years probably (maybe can get pension here, don't know). We don't have quite as much income - but we have far lower outgoings. And QOL - immeasureable!

• Posted

Im 69 and having been in nursing for 53 years from Cadet, nursing is no longer enjoyable. Its back stabbing & bitchiness. S when my knee gave way in August I decided to call it a day. Im so pleased Ive had my op just 8 weeks after and all going well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.