Pain 7 months after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi everyone. i had my gall bladder removed last July. i healed up fine and was doing great until recently. i started having pain again about 2 weeks ago. it is similar to what i had before the surgery. The only thing i could think of that was different was my diet. with the lockdown my husband and i had been eating tuna salad with eggs and mayo everyday for lunch. i am wondering if that maybe what caused if. anyone else have anything similar happen? before i had the surgery mine was a pretty continuous ache no matter what i ate.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

hi,

I had my surgery 8 weeks ago and like you have healed well and made a good recovery. My digestive system is functioning normally, and I am tolerating all foods well. That said, I did experience some minor stomach churning sensations after I ate some mayo, but it was not a pain. I have not eaten it since. Mayo has a high fat content, but low fat versions made with olive oil are available which might be easier on the digestive system.

• Edited

Hello! I had my surgery 4 months ago and I'm doing great, but one thing I have trouble eating now is eggs, which I used to love. They make me incredibly nauseous now. They started to give me nausea before the surgery, and I thought I'd be able to eat them post-op, but still my stomach can't stand them. Sometimes after I eat eggs I get sharp pains too. I don't eat them anymore and I haven't had those problems since. I eat a lot of lite mayo and that seems to be fine.

• Posted

Hi there, I had mine out about 8 weeks ago and have a different type of pain now but in roughly the same area, I also have other muscular pains in the hips and groin area which are new. I have had three bad attacks of trapped wind since the surgery too which were absolute agony, I'm hoping I'm still healing internally coz I'm a slow healer, and that in time it will all settle down. I'm a 44 year old Male who likes a drink!

• Posted

Kevin. your big problem is alcohol. Your liver is telling you something. We non- gallbaldders are very aware that alcohol is a recipe for disaster. Just try to stop for a week and see how you feel.

• Posted

Thx for ur comment Fernando, could u elaborate on why alc ohol is now a recipe for disaster plse? My liver function tests have always been good but haven't had one post op yet. I would be very interested to learn as much as possible on this subject. Thx again.

• Posted

Re alcohol see my reply to 2chr2015 and also the one from livvy20 further down this post.

• Posted

Indeed you are feeding on bad foods. Dairy is a no no along with mayo. BOTH HAVE FATS! Switch to low fat mayo. Or a substitute. Either cut down on eggs or stop consuming them. They will make you sick. Read up on foods to stay away from. Also, start a food map to keep track of what foods that make you unwell.

• Posted

I am able to tolerate dairy OK. I have semi skimmed milk, butter and yogurt without issue. Moderation is key though. When reading through forums such as this, it is plain to see that experiences of surgery, and of food tolerance post surgery, varies widely.

• Edited

As I mentioned in another post just because you have had your gallbladder removed does not stop the production of bile and this can form gallstones in the bile duct. As others have mentioned you can't just treat your body to everything, and particularly things with high fat. You should go for a very low fat, low alcohol (more on that later) diet and see if that controls your symptoms. If it does you can then try adding back in things you crave slowly and see what, or what combination brings back the symptoms. Eventually you should find a diet that you can enjoy eating but that keeps them away. A food (and ideally other activities as well) diary will be a great tool to sort this out.

Someone also asked about Alcohol. Alcohol is basically a poison that needs to get processed out of the body by the liver. Drinking it, particularly a lot, forces the liver to work hard (which is why alcoholics end up with cirrhosis of the liver) and the waste products get excreted in the bile. Though some people can drink normally after the operation for others it will cause similar problems to fatty foods. Again I suggest you cut it out totally until your symptoms go away and then introduce it slowly back in to find out how much you can tolerate without causing problems. It is also a good idea to keep a food and drink diary as well as you may find it is a combination (e.g. alcohol might be OK if you avoid fatty foods) that causes the problems.

Though having one's gallbladder removed helps a lot of people get rid of a lot of problems it is not necessarily a panacea by itself.

• Posted

i just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied. it definitely eases my mind some. I am going to work on the low fat thing. i also think in my case over indulgence has been an issue since we have been on lock down. I don't drink, but i don't watch what i eat either!

• Posted

2crh2015: It most likely is that and keeping a food diary is a good idea. My surgeon told me to eat a healthy and balanced diet and smaller portions. I was also told to avoid trans fats and vegetable oils, but olive oil is good as too is coconut oil. Many mass produced mayos contain the 'bad' oils and they also contain egg or some form of mass produced egg extract. For diary there are lots of semi and lower fat options available. Take a look at the ingredients on a bottle of mass produced mayo and you will be surprised!

You should not completely miss out any particular food group type without medical advice, as they all play a key function in our overall health, and you don't want to stir up issues elsewhere in your body caused by deficiencies.

In addition to the comments about alcohol, again this is a personal tolerance and moderation thing, because without a gallbladder the liver has to work harder. It stands to reason that we need to look after our livers so cutting out, or cutting down on alcohol can only be a good thing. I drink dandelion root tea which is very beneficial for liver health. I also enjoy the occasional glass of wine. You should also watch out for foods which contain grains for liver health- bread, cereals and that type of thing. Swap white bread for a good quality wholemeal and again, enjoy it but eat in moderation.

Best of luck with it all.

• Posted

thank you! i didn't know about the grain liver connection. i used to eat so healthy! i guess like a lot of people i have my days where i eat bad lol. i don't drink alcohol at all. i think someone else posted about drinking alcohol. thanks again for the info!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.