Pain after bike ride

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi my Left hip was replaced in January R hip September I've been feeling great walking pain free up until Iast Sunday when the family asked me to join them on a bike ride , although we went on the family trail it was bumpy and a bit hilly in places however it was great to get back in the saddle or should I say on the saddle !

I'm now very concerned that I may have done some damage as the pain in my left hip is so bad I've had to start using my crutch again , it feels like it did when I first came out of hospital as in pain in the groin and buttock , any advice is very much appreciated , Thankyou for reading !

Best Wishes Angie

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I don't think a bike ride could have damaged the actual joint - unless you have fallen off. It is more likely that your body is so unused to that kind of exercise and is putting up a protest. Maybe you did a little too much.

We all eventually learn the biting point - I couldn't walk yesterday after the gym - replaced hip was a little sore and left hip needs to be replaced - grinding pain all day - I am 18 months post op and still can ache if I am really pushing it.

Rest up for a few days and the pain should go

• Posted

Hi Angie. I agree with Rose. Bike riding is likely a movement you haven't done since surgery & using the muscles in a different way. I agree rest, and I would add an icepack a few times a day. Good luck!

• Posted

Its almost certainly muscular. Have a good rest and see how it is. you've probably just done too much. if it doesnt get any easier, there is no harm in getting it checked out.

Very best wishes x

• Posted

Thankyou all I feel reassured and will try icing the area , I guess it's a case of listening to our bodies and not overdoing it , it's been years since I rode so not only was the bike creaking but me too ! Hope you all have a lovely weekend !

Best Wishes Angie 😄

• Posted

Hi Angie poor you.I would advise you to get yourself checked.I think you might have pulled some muscles.Keep warm & rest when you can.Take painkillers as well.Heat rubs will help.regards Amanda

• Posted

Hi Angie,

i think you did MARVELLOUS to ride a bike after only having your new hip in January.

i had my op on the 30th January and consider myself doing ok driving the car. However, my groin area is quite painful if I've used the clutch a lot.  I think we expect too much of ourselves after all it is a major operation.

i keep telling myself not to do too much as none of us want to take a backward step do we?  

Hope you feel better soon and you haven't damaged anything.

Kind regards 

Margaret.

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

I had mine done on 30 January too! Im still using a walking stick but very happy to be driving though I still feel I have to be careful getting in and out of the car. I think its important to keep moving. Someone said the hip once replaced is a bit like a hinge and is better kept moving, so i try to walk each day and do my exercises but not over do it and rest plenty too.

We are all difference but now all part of the same club! Good luck with your recovery, very best wishes xx

• Posted

It is natural to be worried but I think you have just used muscles that you have not used for a time. The way I would deal with it and I'm not a doctor would be to have a loooog hot bath before going to bed, take some pain killer an take it a bit easier for a few fags.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

dear angie, 

the  it was bumpy and a bit hilly is a give away, I think .. riding a bike (after such a long time and major surgeries) might be good when on stationary bike - on the road it is different - 

good for you for trying ... now slow down a bit and give it some time to heal further ...

let us know how you are getting on okay?  

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Angie, I agree with the others, pain probably because you're using different muscles. I was back in my bike at about week 10, but it was always on a smooth road. Have a rest, take some pain relief, and good luck. Obviously see your doctor if it doesn't improve. All the best.

• Posted

Hi Angie, I used an exercise bike after both my hips were replaced, to gain muscular strength. I must admit though, I didn't have the same effect as an actual bike with all the lumps and bumps etc!

As you are being advised, it will probably feel better after a few days rest, maybe too much too soon.

• Posted

Angie,

Let's hope you haven't done any damage, just a reaction to sitting on a bike saddle, and using certain muscles again.  I know when I started using the 'Boris Bikes' in London, I could 'feel' the metalwork inside my rear end.   I started out with very short rides on quiet and flat roads.   

Take it easy and let us know how you get on.

Graham

• Posted

I did the same thing. It took a week of no bike rides and slowly return to exercises.

Used ice and other meds to manage the pain and sleep. Also had revision in January. 

Best wishes for recovery soon. Two steps forewords and three back. It eventually evens out. I walk a lot better now and try not to sit for long periods. Bending is a pain so continue to use a reacher until that hurdle is crossed. 

One step at a time. 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.