Pain after exercise.......

Posted , 6 users are following.

....is this all right? 

I am 10 weeks post TKR and having problems knowing how much exercise to do.

I had a bad week last week and didn't do much although I did the usual stretching and bending. 

I can walk upstairs fine even though I have some pain, I can walk without a crutch or stick but not far as my leg swells up. I limp but I do try and walk normally, hard to do.My bend is about 100 degrees but I cannot fully straighten my leg. Just a little way to go.

Yesterday I went to the gym and did about fifteen minutes very gentle exercising on the bike.Oh! Boy! I've really paid for that. Sore,painful and swollen afterwards,more stiff and sore this morning.Is this normal? Is it ' no pain, no gain'?

I want to go to the gym regularly and build up the exercises. I am going to an Aqua Exercise class this morning.

I have sat around too long and want to get moving. Is exercise the way to go?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

At 10 weeks?  Normal.  Read my section on Exercise...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Daughter is a graduate nutritionist plus an ACSM (gold standard)- and ACE-certified trainer for 16 years.  Pro recommendations...

• Posted

My only salvation is that she lives 90 minutes away.  Having her spotting me in a gym is a nightmare!  I call her The Exercise Nazi..."One more...give me one more...now two more..."  Doesn't stop...  Years ago, she was the water aerobics trainer for the Rutgers University men's basketball team.  She's 5' 1"...they were all 6' 10"...and she brought them to their knees.........  She knows her stuff...

• Posted

Hi Saralice

I can only speak from my experience I find that walking on it isn't as good as stretching But I do ice at least 10 times per day including night slowly slowly 😀😀😀😀💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼

Rob

• Posted

Hi... everything sounds fine to me for being only 10wks post op .. have to agree sometimes the non-stop exercising can be daunting and somedays I know I'm fine with it all and others I'm not.  I find if I just go with what my knee is telling I have better success.  I'm just 2wks post op from my 2nd TKR and learnt from my first one that overdoing it can really make you pay for it for sometime sad 

Your bend sounds great at this stage and you'll get there at straightening it .. that's the one thing both times round I've found the easiest is the straightening but hey we're all different and each knee is a different journey.

Doing aqua classes is great as the water takes 80% of your body weight.  I'm very lucky as at my physios (they only concentrate on rehab, work & road injuries) they have a small gym for their patients and there's always a pt around to ask any questions etc... and they also do 3 hydro pool sessions a week.

But in saying all that due to mine being a road injury... everything of mine is paid for by our governments insurances company... now they're a pain as everything is a battle but if you keep at it they concede in the end.

So it's definitely time for you to get moving and exercise is definitely the way to go.

• Posted

Forgot to mention as was mentioned above .. ice ice ice whenever you can... especially after activity and I find it helps even if I'm just very sore.

• Posted

Thanx chap my knee prob was from earlier motorsport activities hey ho that's life take care m8 good luck

Rob 🚴🚴🚴🚴🍻🍻🍻💉💉😀

• Posted

With knee replacement, it seems to be the opposite. When you really try to exercise your way to a quicker recovery it sets you back. At least in my case it has When I have pushed it, it seems like I have to take a few days off just to get back to where I was.
  • Posted

Water exercise is the BEST! Our daughter-in-law is a PT specializing in water therapy. Her patients are achieving GREAT PROGRESS, and the water provides a very relaxing medium for progressing well!

Prior to my two surgeries I felt the best while treading water and moving in the water.

My PT told me to NEVER exercise to a pain level.

Slow and steady with resting breaks as needed are best. Listen to your body. It knows ECACTLY what it needs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.