Pain after filling - in jaw but below molars.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a question about a recent dental visit.

I had 4 cavities. (I know this is a lot, I had put off dental work for some time and did not feel any pain from the cavities so I was unaware until I finally decided to get my teeth checked.

I went to dentist #1, received fillings in two molars on the right side of my mouth. No issues no pain.

I moved, chose a new closer dentist, Dentist #2 filled a small cavity in the front, I loved the result. No issues.

Dentist #2 second appointment (issue with this one) The dentist left me with the assistant which was fine, but she began her work and struggled to put a metal piece between my teeth to fill a molar cavity, when she finally did, though numbed up, I felt an immense pain shoot in a straight line down my jaw toward my neck. I flinched and clutched the chair. I have a high pain tolerance but I felt like puking from the intensity. She said oh sorry your gums must be sensitive, but it wasn’t gum pain. She walked away for a minute and I used my phone camera to check, the metal wasn’t near my gum. It was shoved between my teeth, but not touching gum. At the end she struggled to pull it out, and intense pain shot through my jaw in the same place. I wanted to puke again.

The dentist comes back in and asks for floss, he tries to floss between around the tooth she filled, and he can barely get it in there, because I have crowded tight teeth, I have the same issue when I floss. She must have used a lot of force during her struggling to get that metal thing between my teeth, if floss can barely get in there. Now two days later I have jaw pain and swelling. I don’t mean at the joint, I mean below where the molars are, where the shooting pain happened. What could have happened? Should I be

worried?The intensity of the pain is why I am worried, especially since I have never had pain after a filling or even a root canal. My gums are not in pain.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicole , sorry you are going through this. I know the metal thing you are talking about and I had it too and it feels tight squeezing in between teeth but not the pain.

Maybe she hit a nerve as it was shooting pain..

Could you make another appt and get it checked?

Does is only hurt when u floss or are u always in pain?

• Posted

It is a constant pain now. Not the sharp intense pain as when she was inserting and removing it, but it is a noticeable pain. I have a very high pain tolerance so for it to be bothering me it has to be pretty bad.

I can try to get in soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.