Pain after Knee arthroscopy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a simple knee arthroscopy to remove some arthritis behind my patella. It has been 5 weeks and I am still having a good bit of pain and "catching" or "giving away" when I am walking or standing. Any suggestions???

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

are you doing strength exercises that really helps to strengthen muscles holding knee in place? Hope it gets better for you. 
  • Posted

It could be that it's time to move on to the next step, and the arthroscopy was not enough. i would go and see your doctor and get referred back to the consultant.

They can do a microfracture technique or one where they put in something the help your bones move easier, through arthroscopy.

Whatever they do it's five weeks and you should be feeling some improvements by now.

• Posted

Had two done years ago. Ice for swelling, elevation and exercise to strengthen. It took me a while to recover.
  • Posted

I had 3 done. First one I was out of work 2 weeks. Second one I was down for 6 weeks. Third one I was down for 9 weeks. Sometimes doc does more than he tells you. The last one I had done he took out cartilage and cleaned up patella. In order to do that he pumps fluid into the joint to jack it apart. That one took a while to get better and swelling was double the other operations combined. Next app I would talk to him about it for sure tho. I was told occasional clicking is normal. But if it hurts when it does it or locks, you may have material getting caught in the joint.
  • Posted

I had an arthroscopy and microfracture in Nov 2014 - frankly it was a disaster. I was off work for 16 weeks - couldn't kneel or bend. I had done exercises before and after - and still do them. Did all the physio as well. Had terrible pain - the joint kept getting "stuck" when I used the clutch in the car and sort of "graunched" through as I moved the knee with a sickening jolt - used ot make me cry sometimes.After hyaloronic injections - which didn't really help I went back in for another arthroscopy and microfracture in July 2015. Surgeon said the microfracture hadn't worked and he also cut out a fat pad - which I think caused the sticking bit as that did get a bit bette. Off work for 8 weeks that time. It ws a bit better but has now deteriorated again and now considering partial replacement. Had the right knee done in the middle of all that and that was a success. Keep up with the exercises as strong ligaments will help. You can make muscles and ligaments stronger but can't make bones better.

• Posted

My micro fracture lasted about two years, and he was disappointed it hadn't lasted longer, said some patients get five years from it.

I've since had both knees replaced, and wish I'd had them done years ago, instead of struggling on with the pain.

• Posted

I was hoping for years too! The right one is ok though and is holding up. The left is really not good and I am pushing for a replacement - a partial. Hoping to get rid of the grinding pain. I shall see. Have been referred for an MRI by the musculo-skeletal clinic - having had xrays which showed arthritis. Then a referral back to the surgeon. The GP referred me to the clinic for more conservative treatment but they said I'd already had so much done there was nothing they could add.

• Posted

No, you're probably best just going for the partial, once a knee is totally gone with arthritis, you're just keeping it going really.

The second one is easier, as you've already done it and know what to expect,

• Posted

Hi Amelia, i am 50 live in uk I had a knee arthroscopy in Sept 2015 as my consultant said would help clean up inside my knee and he would see me at 6 weeks. Unfortunately when I had the op he was beside my bed when I came round, he told me my knee was worse than he expected and told me to do the physio, ice,elevate and he would see me at 6 weeks. At 6 weeks he x-rayed and said the knee was bone on bone and the only thing could be done was a total knee replacement. I just cried. I was so stiff, knee was giving, and the pain was geting worse daily. I was at this stage struggling to walk. I had been off work 6 weeks and he would not let me back. My pain meds were getting stronger and over next weeks/ months i went onto oral morphine with a good combination of other meds. I was on the waiting list and told from Dec 2015 it woud be 10 to 12 months. By mid Feb i was a mess, doped on meds, could not walk, stand, work, wanted to disappear. My husband could not bear to see me like this and took out a loan and i went private. Best thing ever...10 months on (had op march 16) still gets stiff, achey but none of bone on bone pain. Unfortunately still cant walk vary far but been told can take up to 2 years and unfortunately also have to get other knee done. Will have to go on waiting list for it as cant take out another loan.

​I went to physio and am doing the exercise she gave me, they do help. Takecare and keep us posted. x

• Posted

Amelia,

I had the something. After all said and done I ended up getting shots.

They are painful to get but it got me through for 8 yrs. Kaiser refused to

give me new knee at age 50. 8 yrs later I needed 2.

Talk to your doctor and see what they say.

Be sure to ice and exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.