Pain again

Posted , 10 users are following.

8 weeks post TKR and being told by consultant to carry on with my life as normal.

also myGP saying I shouldn't be in pain now.

i did a little too much yesterday shopping ...etc.... Meeting up with friends at my writers group

i've had a really bad and painful night. And feel as if I've gone backwards.

Has anyone else  done the same ??

0 likes, 25 replies

Report / Delete

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been told we will have good days and bad days my knee isn't actually painful anymore but if I overdo things it gets really heavy and stiff. I still have bad nights every now and again but in the whole if I pace myself most I the time I'm ok. I still have a partial numb knee on the left hand side of my leg but it's not too bad. Am now on a coach to Newquay for a 4 day break so that will be a test for me. Hope your feeling better soon am I would go back to your gp and tell him you are still in pain everybody heals at different rates there are no hard and fast rules with this it's a very major op. 

Jo 8 weeks post tkr x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi jo

thanks for your message...I got painkillers from GP after arguing my point.this morning my leg feels like a ton of bricks but I suppose it will ease off after icing it.

you have a lovely day it will do you good and  I also hope the weather keeps fine.

onwards and upwards is the answer 

jean 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi tucks lovely break and had good weather too but I did way too much as wanted to feel normal whatever that is got back this afternoon and am now struggling to get off the sofa and walk around my flat I think tomorrow will be a duvet day as I am due to go back to work on Wednesday. Hope your doing well xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Firstly, for your GP to even contemplate that you shouldn't have pain after 8 weeks is complete nonsense.  You only have to read other threads on here, to be aware that he/she is talking complete moluscs!

Carry on life as 'normal'...again...codswallop.  I can understand (perhaps) saying 'try' to carry on as normal, but as anyone on here will tell you....Normality is a very long time coming...(I'm 6 months down the line and I wouldn't cansider my knee or the way I live anything like 'normal')

Yes I've had times when I feel like I've made one step forward and two steps back...Now in my experience...that's 'normal' having had a TKR.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reassuring message

i was beginning to think I was abnormal  and that I should be doing more than I am.

i've been given the go ahead to drive but I don't feel ready yet as it's my right knee  where I had the TKR

Once again thanks for your message 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

13 weeks on knee no 2 and ive just gone back to work ans struddling a little (lot ) was talking to a member of staff today who also had one done ,he said the same , life is never the same , but will get better ,in time , i have found the harder i work the better it is ,then when i slow down the tightness arrives , 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had that last week, although only at 6 weeks then. I went to hydro and came out feeling really good so took our puppy for a hours walk cross country, the next day I could hardly walk. I spoke to my Physio and she said that at the end of the day it is a major operation and can take 6-12 mth before everything is fully back to normal. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes Jean, quite a few times the last couple of weeks. All my literature said we may get more pain at 6 to 8 weeks because that's when we start to do more. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think that must be the reason ..I did more than usual and I'm suffering for it...I will just have to learn to pace myself better

thinking about it I suppose everything is healing inside the knee and that's the reason for the pain today .

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ice your knee, have some pain killers and eat some chocolate 😉. If it eases later try some exercises, tomorrow will be a better day. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

By this afternoon you'll be feeling better. A girl always needs chocolate to make her feel better, you need to have a secret/emergency stash for days like this. Have a good day x
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up