Pain again

Posted , 10 users are following.

8 weeks post TKR and being told by consultant to carry on with my life as normal.

also myGP saying I shouldn't be in pain now.

i did a little too much yesterday shopping ...etc.... Meeting up with friends at my writers group

i've had a really bad and painful night. And feel as if I've gone backwards.

Has anyone else  done the same ??

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

One thing I have learned from this site is that recovery from tkr is different for everyone. Don't be disheartened. You will be fine. I'm 5 weeks post op and whenever I think I'm improving I have a bad day or night but this appears to be normal. I must admit it would be nice to have my leg back. I feel as if I'm carrying about someone else's leg!!

Chin up

Patricia

• Posted

bless you, jean! i know exactly how you feel. i woke up yesterday morning with both knees screaming with pain at 4 a.m. why? who knows, no idea. i got up and could hardly walk, the pain was so bad. i went back to bed with ice packs on both knees. no help. then medicated. a bit of an improvement. went for a lymphatic massage. a tiny improvement. but by the time i got to my next therapy, i was crying and could hardly get up the stairs. my therapist waved her magic wand and an hour later i was fine. but WHY? and HOW can this happen with all the meds we swallow?

my surgeon reassures me we get good days and bad. and not to worry if i am still needing lots of meds. each patient is different and not to be too hard on ourselves.

do a bit less but don't stop doing it. we cannot make the knee the center of our lives forever.

britta - 8.3 weeks post-op

• Posted

Hello

you are so right ...thinking about it I've had 3 busy days one after the other and I think my knee is saying ...hey you're pushing me too hard....the pain last night was horrific enough to bring tears to my eyes again and this morning my leg feels like a ton weight ...so it's rest ...ice ...and a feel sorry for myself day 

will ask my daughter to bring me some grapes ....lol

• Posted

Hi Jean

in one respect he is right expect he left out one little word. The word "try" . Try to carry on your life as normal. But you will find you will need more rests than normal, you won't be able to stand as long as you normally would, you will take more pain medication than normal, you will be tireder than normal etc etc otherwise yes try to carry on with your life as normal. At least that is what I am doing up to a point. I have returned to work but sit down longer, I walk from A to Z but take much longer as I walk more slowly, I still catch a movie, have coffee, do a bit of basic cooking (not much cleaning) but I can't go to watch a one dayer cricket cos it's too much, I can't go to an antique show and walk around for a few hours cos its too much. So in that respect life is not normal but it will get there little by little. BUT! As far as the doc saying you shouldn't be in pain by now!!!!!! Did u snot him??? Lol. Don't let him get away with such a ridiculous comment. Ask him if he knows what he is talking about! Then spend the next 5 minutes telling him what it is like, how u feel, describe every little strange sensation/ pain/ niggle you get. Let him know how Insensed you are at the insensitive comment. 

• Posted

Yes Jean, if you do a bit too much you do feel it later. When I go to hydrotherapy and work hard for an hour, I usually feel it over the next  few hours but I think that is to be expected. The joys of recovery hey? But there is still medication if you can get it. If you've overdone it and it aches, then medicate! Well that's what I do smile
    • Posted

Me too ...back on my meds today ....but only 1 tablet instead of 2

My fault I was just being clever by doing too much 

• Posted

Hi Jean

You are not on your own.

I definitely have good and bad days; yesterday was an ok day (although knee feels like concrete) so had lunch out with a friend and did an extra 15 minute walk and an extra 5 minutes on the bike.

Didn't sleep at all last night and can barely walk today; pjs still on, feet up in front of a film with a hot water bottle and some chocolate! Some Oxynorm is also on the menu shortly.

Tomorrow is another day and I will try again.

All the best, Tracey

• Posted

That's my day too Tracey

feet up  nice cup of tea and a piece of cake...watching telly pain meds regularly today...and as you say ...tomorrow is another day

we live and learn ...our knee lets us know when we've pushed it too hard

take care 

• Posted

no pain after 8 weeks i wish lol, i had one in feb and the other in august and still have some pain or is this classed as discomfort ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.