Pain and bleeding five weeks open myomectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone ,

I'm really worried and hoping someone can help .

I'm nearly five weeks post open myomectomy . I started my period about four days ago,it was really heavy and painful with lots of clots. It stopped completely yesterday and I went to the supermarket which I struggled with . This morning I've had pain and started bleeding , not heavily but it's dark red and I'm concerned .Im worried as I thought my period had ended and now it's back , or is the bleeding not related and something else ?

Can anyone help ?

Thankyou

Lizzie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

The first couple of periods after an open myomectomy are like that, usually heavly bleeding, more pain and clotting, dark blood. I had the same and was warned by the surgeon that this would happen. By the time you are on your 3rd period after an open myomectomy usually it settles down to normal period.  Try not to worry. Be grateful your rid of the fibroids.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your reply , I've been stressing like crazy . Is it normal that yesterday it stopped almost completely then the pain and bleeding comes back ? Sorry to pick your brain like this .

Thanks for all your help

• Posted

Yes its normal, can start and stop, be longer and usually darker towards the end of period, sign of the old blood coming out.  Your surgeon should have warned you. Don't stress, at least you have a period, which shows your uterus is working, good sign. 

• Posted

Thankyou so much , you've really put my mind at ease , I was so worried . My surgeon really gave me no advice or told me what to expect which I think is quite bad really . This site has been tremendously helpful and people like yourself so good to talk to .

• Posted

I'm so happy you got your question answered. I just joined this group and I have to say they have been VERY nice and welcoming . Welcome to the boards .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.