Pain attacks after gallblader removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i am from NZ - and suffering from similar problem. After 5-6 severe pain attacks drs here removed my GB which had some minor sludge. Also an ercp was done.

I was better for 3 weeks after lapro surgery but now the pain attacks have started to come back. No pattern sometime i have two attacks in a week or sometime once in 6 weeks. They are so severe that everytime we have to call ambulance and get morfin to get it under control.

Ct scan, colonoscopy and mrcp showed all normal.

Blood tests are showing absolutely normal, liver function normal.

Have been to 3 different gastroentologists and they all said its nerve pain , there is no fix cause which triggers it . It can be physologically or else. They have put me on Nortitrypline 75 mg a day and said to take it for 3-6 months , only it can help relax the nerves!

Hoping it goes away soon ! 

It has distrubed our lifestyle including our 2 yr old daughter!

Any other suggestions ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you're still in pain following your cholecystectomy. Someone who posts here has had a nerve block done for what sounds the same thing as you're having and I think it was moderately successful. Maybe ask for a recferal to a pain clinic?

• Posted

Hi Many thanks for your suggestions. We will try to find an another gastro. I have been told the one we are currently going to is a very good one and this pain has no quick fix , only nortitrypline will help over the time but not sure after how long. The problem is the pain is so severe that it doesn't get controlled by any other medication other than Morphine IV. And then morphine causes constipation for next 2-3 days which is another problem. Anyway we will try to find an another gastro. Many thanks, Akash

• Posted

Hi I also experienced three awful attacks of pain very similar to when I had a gallbladder, and one was after I had a dose of co co-damol which is a opiate for a tooth ache. I've done some research and found out that this can happen after gb surgery and it's a post cholecystectomy syndrome. Some people seem to have this attacks after they removed their gb because the valve between biliary duct and gut enters in spasms . It's called sphincter of oddi dysfunction. I also found out that opiates such as morphine can bring on a attack. I think you should try to see a very good gastro and describe that pain because there's other tests that can help. I'm sorry that you have to go through such pain again and it impacts with Your time with your daughter but don't give up and keep looking for someone that can really help you? All the best Helena x

• Posted

Many thanks for your suggestions. We will try to find an another gastro. I have been told the one we are currently going to is a very good one and this pain has no quick fix , only nortitrypline will help over the time but not sure after how long. The problem is the pain is so severe that it doesn't get controlled by any other medication other than Morphine IV. And then morphine causes constipation for next 2-3 days which is another problem. Anyway we will try to get another gastro. Many thanks, Akash

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.