pain back again

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well that will teach me 3 and a half weeks post operation and thought I had this pain sorted. How wrong was I? Think I did too much exercise and housework because I thought I could. Last night was one of the worst ever the pain came back and I didn't hardly

sleep. Today I am doing nothing at all just a little exercising and

plenty rest and icing. Don't be lulled into thinking one decent day and everything is back to normal because this thing just kids us..

One step forward and two back seems to be the norm. This is my second tkr so I should have known. The physio said we conveniently forget everything because that is the body's way of coping. Boy was she right.x

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 8 weeks today Joan, & I have learnt that lesson as  well in the last week. was doing so well I thought it was OK to get back to normal duties. Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Now I have to practice exercising patience.
  • Posted

Hi joan.

Im in same boat. 3 1/2 weeks post op and my 2nd time around. I wasnt given any help/advice/physio so been winging it. I listen to my knee(not literally!)when im on it to much and just throw my icepak on it.

Havnt been out on my own or without crutches since op.

Read some posts on here last night and started very gently on my exersize bike. Thats a massive step as had HUGE probs with bending.

Listening to everyone else seems like i was operated on by a butcher!!!

Do hope you feel better asap.

Let everyone wait on you today!!!!

• Posted

It seems lots of people use crutches after surgery, but I was put straight onto a frame with wheels at the front.  My forearms took most of my weight & I felt very secure despite having bilateral replacements. By day 5 I was moved to a wheelie walker & found it wonderful to practice walking with.  They even have a seat to sit on if you go too far, & they have brakes.  A few days later I was using a stick for moving short distances.  So those that are still early days post-op, see if you can borrow or hire a wheelie.  I was lucky & was able to borrow one. 
    • Posted

Very tough when you are expecting to go ahead in leaps & bounds.  I had no pain walking after the op like I had prior to surgery, so I just assumed I would continue to improve at the same rate of knots. I didn't really get onto my static bike until 6 weeks, no way I could have moved it very far, now I am able to ride it adequately, not beautifully. It will come.
    • Posted

As I have said on several occasions, i'm in the US and crutches are rarely used as the walker is standard issue. Stability, safety and ease of teaching the proper way of stepping out using the entire knee/leg extension. Then we start therapy immediately with home health or in a rehab outpatient setting depending on individual circumstances. That lasts for appx. 3 months either2 or 3 times a week. Very little if any time with a cane. Of course there are the exceptions where things just didn't go right, and you do whatever it takes to become mobile. There are those that use a cane most of their lives after tkr. My neighbor is about 3 years post op and she walks like it was 3 weeks ago. She shuffles and uses her husband for support when yhey are out walking. The rest of the story, she is a whiner and complainer about everythi g in life, wouldn't do her excer ises and absolutely uses every excuse in the books for not losing 50-60 lbs that would do wonders for her ability to walk and breath.
  • Posted

How long did it take to get over your 1st TKR Joan, & how long ago was it.  I didnt fancy going back twice, & have not regretted it.  Must admit that my right knee is probably 2 weeks behing the left.  Just goes to show how healing & progress does vary.  Good luck Joan.
    • Posted

I was swimming and looking after my grandchildren after 3

months. This one seems much worse but the physio said

no two knees are the same. X

• Posted

Also I didn't go out by myself till 6 weeks when I was able to drive.  Still only drive for about half to 1 hour as my legs do not like being bent in the same position for any longer. Automatic fortunately.
  • Posted

I'm just wondering if you’re still taking your pain meds. I did the same thing and started working out at the gym because the Oxycodone masked the pain and tricked me into believing that the absence of pain meant I was ready to start pushing a little harder.

Biggest mistake I ever made! Next day my knees were swollen up so big they looked like grape fruits. And the pain was many times worse than before even the Oxycodone didn't give me any relief.

I just had to bare it.

That moment of stupidity set me back 3 weeks as I couldn’t resume my rehabilitation until the swelling went down.

Sorry it happened to you too. I feel your agony.

• Posted

Don't forget the paon meds to hlp you through this phase. Not only too much but I expect way to fast. Keep every activity to a pace that allows you to walk and .ove properly. When you step, heel , ball of the foot and then toe. Upright in posture and complete follow through. Make sure you aren't doing any rwisting or putting torque on the joint. Slow and steady is a much faster healing method than fast and jerky.
    • Posted

I agree slow n steady but its driving me mad.im so independent and patience not 1 of my virtues!!!

Want to be out dancing on tables asap!!!

• Posted

By the time you fully recover from this you will have learned a valuable lesson in patience. Having been through it as many times as i have you find virtues you never knew were part of your character. Either you learn the easy way or you extend your recovery. Having been through nearly 1/2 dz surgeries and thinking I was on top of it I created the biggest blunder imaginable. I had to have a revision after 9 years. The morning after the surgery while going through the process of being dragged out of bed and walked around the room I decided to get cleaned up. Instead of asking for help pulling up my shorts I decided I was man enough to do something that simple by myself. Tge leg gave out an I found myself in a heap on the floor with a broken femur. Back to surgery, linger recovery, a never ending stsph infection, several more surgeries and here i sit with no knee waiting for the 6 weeks to pass after the end of an 8 week antibiotic infusion protocol so I can have another prosthesis put back in. All in all this will be my 11th surgery on the leg and 5 of those because of my own stupidity and impatience. I could write a book on slow and steady vs. Fast and furious.
    • Posted

Omg thats terrible. Yup should know better myself(2 back ops and this my 2nd knee op)

But its so hard to keep morale up when its so frustrating. But yes you are totally right and this time i have been more patient(damm hard)

I hate pain etc controlling me(im stubborn)and hate being dependent. Im an impatient patient. But have taken it on board as good god dont want to break my leg.

Hope you are skipping about soon.

• Posted

I get my new knee june 25 (just got a call yesterday pushing it b a ck 3 more days) then the usual reab so ive goy another 4-5 months ahead of me. I have a huge reason for needing to get back on my feet, my wife is in the advancing stages of Parkinson's disease and i need to be taking care of her. Right now we have gad to go to a home delivery of prepared lunches we call meals on wheels for seniors and have a lady come in every other week to clean and run errands as I can't carry much and use ny walker. I can only put 50% weight bearing on my bad leg and am in am in an immobilizer whenever i am out of bed. My wife is no longer allowed to drive because if her condition so getting it right this time is very important. Another case of thinking you are infallable when you are really still just human.
    • Posted

Best of luck to you you certainly need it after what u have been through......and I thought I was struggling after 3 weeks TKR thinking each day does not get better......Nd no dam light at the end of the tunnell.... I am.p dry impatient and planning on being back at work in another 3 weeks.....have everything crossed.....all the best to you and your wife
    • Posted

Thanks....careful on going bac k too soon, depending of course on what your work consists of. I thought i saw a light at the end of the tunnel and it turned out to be a train, so here i am, doing what I've learned to do best, sit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.