Pain going to bathroom after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anybody have trouble going to the bathroom after your gallbladder surgery? Or when you do it’s awful to the point of chills and almost passing out? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

How long is it since your surgery? Try to drink plenty water as if you’re dehydrated it makes things worse. Also if you’re on painkillers you may need a stool softener like dulcolax. My first poo after surgery I hadn’t gone for about 4 days and was very painful. Held a pillow over my stomach too. After that it did get easier xx
    • Posted

It’s been a month but so far I’ve inky been going once a week. Been drinking water but I’ll start drinking more. And I take stool softener but not consistently I’ll start. Thanks 
    • Posted

That will definitely be painful only going once a week! It definitely takes a good while for the body to get used to not having a gallbladder. Sometimes I don’t know what’s worse, constipation or diarrhoea as a side effect. 

Yeah at least if you take the stool softener regularly it’ll make you more regular and then hopefully you can reduce the meds xx

• Posted

I was constipated after my surgery and when I finally started going at first I did but it went away after I was going regular again. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about it, he/she can probably help you better.
  • Posted

hi, it appears we are all different here, i had gb removed over a year ago,been constipated ever since, i dont want to start taking laxatives yet, so eating lots of fruit and drinking lots water, seems to help, if you not happy at all keep on with your surgery, it does take time to settle down, you must take it easy no lifting etc, all best terry
  • Posted

Hi there, just a thought but have you tried to eat a little bit of 'good fat' like olive oil. It can help to get things moving. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Yes, constant diarrhea every time you eat

Just try to eat less or less  greasy food

Try eat dark chocolate sometimes it helps or regular chocolate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.