Pain in back

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Me again, after reading various comments convinced myself that the pain in chest and back was GERD, but now not so sure. My pain in chest and back worsens when I breath deeply or even when I yawn, does anyone else have this. It is also nearly constant for days on end. My mum had lung cancer and died at 54, younger than me and all the signs pain in chest, back, across breast area and underarms are all symptoms. I do have a slight cough but no mucus apart from white frothy stuff. Why do so many illnesses mimic each other it so worrying. GP upto date have been dismissive but tomorrow going to see someone new and hope they will reassure me. Also upped my PPI. take ranitidine, DGL licorice etc but pains still there.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about!!!! GERD can be caused by different things and sometimes (in my case for example) it the tension of the diaphragm that pushes the stomach, the lungs, weakens the valve that closes the stomach causing GERD and creates shortness of breath, terrible muscular spasms in my upper chest to the point that it was painful to lie down...to say nothing about a bad insomnia. so i knew that all together it was one thing - one disease...and treating just the stomach or just the backpain would not work...in my case PPIs and other antiacids just made it worse as I did not have too much acid in my stomach...so by supressing the acitidy of my stomach owht PPIs i started digesting badly and my condition got worse. Almost a year later having tried all kinds of PPis with different dosages I saw a homoepath who told me about a possible tension in diaphragm as a root cause (caused by stress) and she advised to see an osteopath (I'm still waiting for my appointment) a;ongside with a homoepathic treatment that is spot on - i get less spasms and less issues with shortness of breath right after the first week of my treatment. It' the secod month I am on this stuff and it works well for me as I feel that most probably i am going to recover from this...Whereas prior to this the mainstream doctors used to tell me that it's a lifelong condition and just get used to it. This idea apart the isses caused by the condition itseld was stressing me so much that my spirit was very low. It has changed now. So maybe also in your case worth trying that? Also acupuncture helps she mentioned...and I am about to see one next week. Good luck and try not to worry much! 
  • Posted

If I was you I would insist on a X ray, don't get fobbed off. I am undergoing a lot of tests at the moment as I do have a very good GP who is willing to listen to me.
    • Posted

Yes; I was going to suggest a chest x-ray, and Sputum Culture....even if to only relieve you of your Anxiety re the Lung Cancer....have that sorted out, and then know that it's not what your Mum had???   Bron
  • Posted

Hi all, well went to GP today saw the senior guy and hoped he would be better, nope after rehearsing what I was going to say about all my symptons and the reasons for it I have been given, about my mum and lung cancer, he half smiled and laughed and said I doubt very much that you have what your mum had. He had not even listened or felt or prodded or anything just said get a chest x ray, which I have just done. He also said he was fed up with A&E saying not a heart problem and then expecting GP's to work out that is going on as I went to A&E months ago when it first started. So must wait now, I hpe that if they see something wrong they will call before the 7-10 days they say to wait I still have pain in back and front, just have to see what the outcome is. Man in chair behind was talking to his friend and said he had had a pain in his back for 3 weeks. So quite common I think. I do not mean to rant but GP's do say things that worry you sometimes, he laughed without even checking, another one said cancer does not hurt, my mum said it did and another said I did not need another endoscopy as I had one about 8 years and nothing grows that quick.
    • Posted

Morning youngatheart; I am really sorry you are not getting anywhere with this issue I guess with the chest x-ray, it's a start)...but what about the sputum culture???   You described what you cough up as "white frothy stuff"...that in itself can be an indicator......have you travelled overseas lately/or in last 6 months or so?  I know you are also young, but do you smoke (and if so how many a day??)....as to the comment re "nothing grows that fast"  8 years is a long time, and why did they do one in the first place for someone young?  There still seems a lot of unanswered questions....is this GP clinic the only one that you can go to?  I feel that anyone who bothers to go looking for answers on a forum/internet in the first place, must have something there that is bothering them.....even if we don't have the correct answers, there needs to be some place where you can get satisfaction.....is it worth trying another GP/Clinic?   How I got my answers/satisfaction, and which led me to this sight, was "enter all your symptoms into the Symptom Checker" (if you havn't already done so)...print out the results, and keep looking for someone who will listen  .....I understand your concern, as family history plays a big part in many conditions, especially with cancers.......good luck and keep us informed.....Bron
    • Posted

Hi hope you are well, yes I am young at heart anyway, I am 55. The reason for the endoscopy is that I have long term history of reflux and have been on esomeprazole for 9 years now, I think that is why the GP's ignore me as the symptoms are similar to GERD, pain in back etc. For the me the fact that it does not go with extra acid treatment is the worry. To be honest there is another practice but they are even worse. I just feel that GP's in trying to make us feel better make rash statements when they have not even checked anything. I am hoping that if they find anything bad on the x ray the GP will not make me wait 7-10 days. I have not even been offered a sputum culture and will mention it next time I go. I have never smoked but obviously years ago we all smoked passively whether we wanted to or not and my parents did, hence the worry over cancer. It sucks getting older as you start getting all the strange things, I have even been told chest and underarm pain can be menopause! Have a good day.
    • Posted

Well youngatheart;   here I am thinking you at least 20 years younger......as for the Menopause, well I havn't heard that one before (chest and underarm pain...I'd best put that into my memory bank).....will await for your results...good or bad, I will be thinking of you, and waiting to hear back...Bron
  • Posted

Hi all, well X Ray came back normal, me being me and sceptical that he can say definitely no lung disease, cancer or heart disease, probably just being too anxious as have had these symptoms for months now. He said my symptons were classic gerd as recent blood tests all came back ok. I am now on 40mg esomeprazole and 300mg ranitidine 2 x 150mg a day, anyone else on this combination, you need acid to help digestion and now worried if taking too much acid medication. The pain across chest is slightly less after 1 day but still have pain and breathless cough now and again. I am going to work with it for a week and if no change go back again. I cannot understand how something can give you so many symptoms, it feels just like someone if lifting me under the arms and squeezing my chest at the same time if you know what I mean.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up