Pain in bending at 13wks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I am now 13wks post TKR. I have about 130+ bend and more or less full straighten. Walking is still uncomfortable from tightness.

The main problem is that now when bending i get a lot of discomfort behind the knee in the hamstrings area. If i press the area - i can bend more - otherwise the bend is restricted. Anyone else have this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suzi,

I am virtually the same as you, as my TKR was on Nov. 7th I have been signed off by the surgeon this week with a bend of 135 degrees and he said not to try and get any further as it could cause damage to the knee. He said to live my life as if with a normal knee and stop the exercises. I also get this tightness you are feeling after walking a while but not until I stop, I can then walk it off if I start walking again. Mine really doesn't like standing still for long periods. Sleep, walking and stairs are all good.

Regards Paul (Downunder in Perth)

• Posted

Wow Paul, 135 degrees, that's really good. I am at 127 and I think that's about it.

I am in Perth too, had mine done in Rockingham.

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Suzi,

I am 19 weeks and the tightness is still there, but not nearly as much. I have been having a problem behind my knee as well. I tried pressing it as you said, it does relieve it. Thanks

Caz x

• Posted

Glad i it helps! Anything to relieve tightness, soreness and pain is a blessing!

I can walk without a stick but I'm a bit wobbly. Upstairs is ok. Downstairs hmm a bit awkward but i manage.

It's the right hamstrings that stop me. But i guess they'll will adapt. I'm doing lots of pedal cycling and have 4 flights of stairs to get up and down to get out so plenty of physio there! smile

• Posted

You are doing fantastic but remember, you are still weeks away from being completely healed. It can take severeal months for all the little demons of the deep to surface and flee. As with most, you are still retraining your leg to track the proper way. There is a lot of internal damage still in a correction mode. 3 months from now most of this will be gone and 12 months from surgery you'll be as good as you've ever been. Just remember to continue to take time to walk correctly.
    • Posted

Thanks OFG we're thinking of going camping for a few days next week. Before the cold weather sets in. Hoping being active will help. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.