pain in good knee?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi peeps

Am nearly 5 weeks post op left knee.starting to do exersizes etc but have found that my right(good knee)is extremely painful!! Is this due to being on crutches or it taking all my weight?

Just wondered if anyone has probs with the non op knee?

Thanku. Beth.x

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth I have had both knees done the second one 5 weeks

ago and during the night the one I had operated on last

year is very painful. The physio showed me how to stand

properly on operated leg putting my full weight on. Hopefully

this will make a difference. I think I was afraid of putting

too much strain on it. Hope your pain gets better.x

• Posted

Hi Littlebear,  both my knees were bone on bone so requested both to be done at once.  It was great because I couldn't favour one knee, just had to deal with them both. Was really concerned about how I would cope  as I am a RN & have nursed TKR's in the past.  Always swore I would never have a TKR!  However, once you cant walk without severe pain you quickly want anything to give you back your life.  I am now 9 weeks post op today & have had my ups & downs, & know that I still have to accept it will not all be normal for a while. I am walking without pain though, still have discomfort in bed at night & after sitting for too long. But no regrets having both done at the same time.  I am already able to do so much more than I have been able to do for the last 2yrs. I keep getting comments about good I look. Chronic pain affects everthing in your life.  Including how you look! Good luck & try & organise your next one sooner rather than later.
  • Posted

yes I have this problem too, I had xrays a few months ago so knew I had oa in my "good" knee but not too bad,as soon as I went to 1 crutch after tkr on "bad "knee it started playing up I am hoping that taking the extra strain is causing flare up and that it will settle, in addition I now have pain in my hip on operated side which I never had, lets cross our fingers and hope things will settle ! best wishes
    • Posted

Sometimes theres a big re alignment of the whole "chassis" involving hips both knees and affecting the way you walk- it seems the brain has to digest all this change (because we all have habitual patterns in the way we move our bodies and these are changed big time!) And I was told that lots of aches and pains can occur affecting back, hips and the other knee after a tkr. When I asked how long answer was as long as it takes!!! At present I have one v straight tkr leg and one also oa a bit bowed! For myself have decided will leave it can year before worrying too much - so long as no acute probe seem to be arising!
  • Posted

Your entire body is getting realigned. Back, hips, upper body get messed up when we hurt and limp. You are putting weight on. Yours legs move differently and like any other muscle that gets weak it has to be reeducated. Don't be in a hurry a or push so hard you strain something. Ice the good leg like the bad one elevate both at the same time. Use a little massage oil or some form of ligament to ease the pain temporarily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.