Pain in hands and thumbs

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with PMR since 2015 and have been reducing my prednisone with the dead slow method.  I have been successful and am now down to 1.5mg after starting at 15.  I have noticed that every morning I wake up with my hands hurting and also where my thumbs meet my wrists.  I was hoping my PMR was almost gone but I am wondering if it is lingering or is this just arthritis.  I hate to increase my prednisone.  Anyone have this issue?  Thank you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

That’s where some of my arthritis is - balls of the thumbs and wrists.  Try taking a pain killer and if it works it probably ISN’T the PMR  (pain tablets don’t help PMR).
  • Posted

PMR lingers.  My rheumy said I might be in pred 1 mg forever.  (I won’t be).  
  • Posted

Maybe it's that now you're down to 1.5 that is no longer masking the OA pain ( if that's what it is ) The only downside for me getting to zero pred. was that the OA became, and remains, much more noticeable. Not easy to be sure which pain is which and if anyone knows how to differentiate I'd be very keen to hear. 

• Posted

Thank you.  It’s hard to tell but I really want to get to zero!
    • Posted

Last sentence!  I fear you’ll have a long wait.😀

• Posted

I have noticed the same problem as I reduced down to 3mg.  Pain, weakness and swelling in the joints at the base of the fingers. My rehumi just said that it is probably related to PMR and gave me some topical anti-inflammatory meds to use. They help, but dont eliminate the problem.  I am trying to increase from 3 to 5mg temporally, and it seems to help.  Life is never dull, especially with immune system problems.
  • Posted

Pain like that in the base of my thumb is a sure sign I am at just marginally too low a dose to manage the inflammation and if I push it I will flare.If 2mg makes it better I'd go there - because these are mini-doses, doing no damage in the long run. Why not have optimum symptom control?

• Posted

Thank you, Eileen!  I will try that. So frustrating to not be able to get off the prednisone but it could definitely be worse.
  • Posted

Hi i started with pmr four years ago, and was put on 10mg pred. 

i had all the usual, neck, shoulder hands hips ect, just like most of us have,

as time went on the pains in my fingers, wrist and thumbs got more painful, and my doctor sent me for tests and it was found out i had carpel tunnel as well, and was given a pair of splints to wear at night, that was 16 months ago and it has made a difference.

But now the rhymi i see has said i have a lot of inflammation there, so i am having to up my pred(nearly double)

and they will see how that goes.

i also use the dsns method and find it very very good, thanks to Eileen who has helped a lot of us. Also after further tests it was found i have RA so have you been tested for this.?

Just a thought.

Mad mags 

• Posted

Thank you! I agree this website is so helpful and especially Eileen.  Very grateful for the group!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.