Pain in knee when sitting 2 weeks post TKR operation

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had total knee replacement surgery almost two weeks ago. I can straighten my leg well and can bend when walking. I still cannot lift my leg off the bed without hooking my other foot under my operated leg as there is no strength there. I am resting, using ice and elevating and still taking meds. My issue is when I sit on a chair and my leg is bent in the sitting position, I am getting sharp pains in the knee. These pains go as soon as I lie down or straighten my leg.  Knee is still very swollen but I understand can take weeks to go down. I'm having my staples removed tomorrow and am hoping that this may alleviate the problem. I can bend my leg but it seems that keeping it bent is causing the pain.  Any advice please?

1 like, 31 replies

Report / Delete

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had TKR on July 1st. I couldn't lift my straight leg off of the bed for the first two weeks either but then eventually it just came. You are better off than me by the sound of it, i have limited bend in my knee and have from the start. I get around just fine with a straight leg that I lift from the hip but i know i can't go on like that, or at least I shouldn't. I have only once spoken to a physio since my surgery and i have felt very abandoned with the whole thing.

Not sure having the staples out will make much of a difference too you apart from making you realise you are on the mend or at least that is how i felt when they came out. I have come to the conclusion that i worry too much about my progress and that everything will be fine given time and persistence. I saw my doctor for an unrelated matter last week and he said it would be many months before i could walk normally again and a nurse told me i was doing really well..... First time i had any feed back since i left the hospital so it lifted me a bit!

With the basic exercises i have always tried to do what I can but I stop when it gets too painful and I try again later. If i could only do one leg raise I left it at that and then tried again hours later and aimed for two and so on.

Certainly is a tough road we're on and i think i had unrealistic expectations of how quickly i could recover.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice. It's reassuring to know that you couldn't lift your leg straight off the bed for a couple of weeks. You're right too in that it is much tougher than I thought it would be but I'm hoping I'll get there eventually!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Wow tracey your problems sound like mine.....I also have limited bend ...I had my tkr on jan 6....bend is still just barely 90...I can walk ok for most mart until tired then I def lift from hip....but I cant walk up or down stairs normally..I too feel very absndoned...let me know if you get any help or relief ..because I have been told I should be lucky I at least have 90 an not much pain....not a good answer for me.....
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I see the consultant surgeon on the 21st and i presume that is to be signed off. My knee is still very tight even though it never looks very swollen. It has that tight band feeling. Otherwise i do alright for pain and I sleep OK. Like you I can use my leg to get up the stairs but i am still doing it by keeping the leg straight somehow. I am hoping my consultant doesn't start talking about manipulation under anaesthetic because I don't feel like i can take anymore right now. Surely everyone heals differently and some can do things before others.... Hope so!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Elainey 

once you get your staples out its all about exercising if you don't exercise you wil get pain also stretching exercises are just as important it will take a while    ...but you will get there the knee may remain swollen for a year so don't worry about that ..listen to your body ...rest..exercise ..then rest it takes time by the time it gets to a year it will feel normal 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

I had my tkr on the 1st of july and i was the same as you,i could not lift my leg untilat least week 3/4,i thought i was never going to be able to do it,then one day i could lift it about 4 inches off the bed and the rest is history..Don't know why i was so worried because it happens to everyone at different times,i still get sharp pains sometimes in the knee and calf aree,my physio says its all part of the healing process and not to worry...I would say you will notice a world of difference tomorrow when your staples come out,but do expect a few twinges having them out..good luck and keep us all posted xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Lou. Yes, I am thinking I'll never get there but reading your post I now know there is hope. My sharp pains are more when I am sitting on a chair and when I first noticed it was when I went in my friend's car to the physio. It's fine when I'm walking around and lying down. I think I should see some improvement when the staples are removed as they staples are bound to pull on the wound so will hopefully feel a bit better although I realise it's going to take time.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Your still in the very early days Elaine,im 5 weeks now and im just seeing a change in everything,ive had highs but many more lows,i found once the staples came out the wound was not so tight and i could work on my exercises much better,also i have only just started to sleep in my bed for most of the night,in the earl days i found it easier to sleep on the recliner...but its a long road to full fitness and im sure you will get there...xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Al very normal at this early stage and nothing to worry about.  Just keep trying and little by little you will move it off the bed.  Yes, not a good idea to keep unbent for too long, and don't put a rolled pillow under the knee either (as lovely as that feels).

patsy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Patsy. Yes physio said far more important that you can straighten leg than be worried about the bend. She said the bend will come in time. If your knee is so swollen, it's very hard to bend but I do feel mine is bending with a little less effort then previously. I will do as you suggest and just keep trying and hopefully it will happen. I think rest, ice and elevation is more important in the early stages and I am bending it slightly when I'm walking around so just won't sit in a chair as that's when it hurts. Yes, I read not to put a pillow under the knee so however how much I'm tempted I will resist. It's so reassuring to hear how other people have dealt  with their recovery and doesn't make you feel so 'alone'.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi elainey, it takes a while to sit with any comfort. You are in the very early stages. Do not rush it. As someone said on this forum, you can see the outside scar healing but what you can't see is how it is healing inside. That tissue takes time to heal. Keep yourself uptodate with painkillers, don't think you can do without them for quite some time. Keep hydrated. Exercise but listen to your knee. I am 16weeks in and I keep thinking I can do more than I can, my knee and leg give me a big reminder that I cannot.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Elaine. It's so good to hear that. As long as I realise it will take some time to be able to sit normally then I won't worry so much.  I know it's only been two weeks and I know I am rather impatient! It makes sense that there is a lot of healing going on inside so I really must bide my time. You're right - I think your body does tell you 'when enough is enough' and I really should trust my body.biggrin
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up