Pain in my upper and lower right teeth but would have to wait 6 months

Posted , 1 user is following.

Last weekend I had a throbbing pain in my upper and lower teeth, it started off as mild because my teeth started grinding in my sleep, one of the tooth in the upper teeth was cracked from inside, but the pain was on the neighbouring back teeth and the lower teeth andcalso lower gum on the right side. it was so painful, like nerve pain, no bleeding, no visible swelling, sometimes feels as if my teeth are loose but they're not.

Took ibuprofen to numb it down, mouth wash and salt and water, nothing worked.

I was getting headaches mild fever like feelings from the pain.

Yesterday and Monday it cooled down, the pain had reduced, called the local dentist, receptionist told me that if it is an emergency, I would have to call NHS dentist because there is 6 month waiting list, they also said that crack tooth and mild toothache or mild pain would not be considered an emergency.

I called the NHS dental clinic, they asked me about the symptoms on the phone, they then advised me to try co-codamol and toothpaste for sensitive teeth and to make a booking with one of the dental clinics, but if it is severe again and nothing works, to call them and they will arange an emergency appointment.

Another local dentist does offer emergency appointments which shows on their website, but haven't tried them, thinking they might say something similar since it was not really hurting, they also charge monthly and more expensive.

Today it was fine, no pain, until I ate a sandwich and the crust was hard and grinded my teeth a little brining back a mild annoying ache in my right teeth, both upper and lower that won't totally go away.

It feels so difficult to know if it is considered an emergency, waiting for 6 months even if the pain and discomfort is mild seems very long and also having to take pain killers to numb the pain..

I did have a similar problem 6 years ago, was told to just go to the hospital and the local NHS dentist took me then, then had follow up appointments, they couldn't see anything in x-rays, so eventually stopped.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.