Pain in opposite knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

8 weeks TKR. In the last week my other knee & ankle has become slightly painful. Op knee, fine just a little discomfort when I get up in the morning, soon goea away. Any ideas.Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

It could be because you are using the other knee more than before for support. My husband had the same problem.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes its because ur compensating on it I have the same problem so now when im laid on the bed icing my new knee I ice my good leg as well and I also do the leg lifts on it to keep it strong???? I never had pain in my right knee til I had the TKR on the left!!!! It is easing as my other gets stronger so hope fully yours will do as well. Just give it some TLC cos its working overtime now lol
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm 17 weeks po from new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea (that's the bit behind it!). My knee is healing fine, but I have big issue with muscle wastage. I seem to have been limping for weeks now and still use my stick outdoors because of lack of muscle strength. However for last couple of days I've had pain in my other leg, namely my knee and ankle, but also my hip. I'm just hoping my good leg is, for the moment, compensating for me limping on my operated leg. Just got to stick with it (no pun intended!).

You're doing really well for 8 weeks.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I hope it's that you've been using the good knee to avoid using the operated one. . M ankle is agony on my good leg!  Hoping it's the same thing. . . but having some test soon to see if it's osteo arthritis again . . rolleyes
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'd say the others are right, Davy, definitely favouring your new knee. It's probably time to start not limping and practising the art of funny walks, if you're no longer using any sticks. Stand straight, as if a piece of string is attached to the top of your head and someone's holding onto the other end. Lift one leg up as high as you can, step forward, bringing the heel down first, rolling onto the ball of your foot, and then the same with the other leg. You might look like John Cleese, but it does work. The longer you limp, the more discomfort you might feel, even in the opposite hip and lower back.

Apart from that, you sound as though you're doing really well for 8 weeks!

Denise from Oz

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up