Pain is exhausting

Posted , 5 users are following.

8 months ago I had a TKR  on my left leg it was so much harder then I ever imagined I was in Pt for six months 3x a week and had a problem with my bend after six months and much pain my bend went to 105 degrees. Came to Florida for a short stay and one month ago got into a bad car accident and crushed my right leg I broke my femur knee and tibia they did a external fixation then two    

days later they  went back in and cleaned up all the small broken bones that where to small to fix did a TKR and put rods and screws in the femur and tibia. I'm still using a walker the problem is much pain that is depressing and exhausting. because I live in New York my health insurance only covers emergencies when I'm out of state so that means the minute I walked  out of the hospital the cost for anything is mine. Even though I was told the surgeon did the impossible I'm over 1 inche taller on the right leg which is causing me along with knee pain in both knees but also hip and back pain and everyone thinks I should be off the pain meds I'm taking which are running out and no one wants to refill.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

I would get an orthodic shoe to make up for the inch. If you can get back to ny I would go to doc immed to get rx for the shoe then have the doc recommend from there which direction to go first. No doubt physical therapy. There are a relatively unknown branch of MD's call physiatrists. They are Md's that specialize in therapy and pain. I would look into them.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

As far as insurance....there has to me some level of medical that goes with the car. Whose fault was the accident? If it want yours there will be liability insurance that will get involved. Make sure you touch base with the auto insurance company so you can get all your ducks in a row for help. When do you get to return to N.Y. so your medical kicks in. As far as the length of the leg. A shoe repair shop can add an insert to a pair of shoes to get you some equalization and help with the limp. My mother had that happen years ago when she had a hip replaced. Talk to the surgeon about wrting a script for the shoe correction. Are you on a private insurance plan or medicare.its bad enough to go through pain and suffering without having all this other mental/emotional stuff to go with it. Have you gone over your case step by step with the social services dept of the hospital? Sometimes they can find answers to problems where others can't. Good luck and keep with this group. You can get a lot of support.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Deborah!

You are having to deal with so much! I am SO SORRY that after having a major surgery you had such a terrible accident! It is indeed amazing what surgeons can do to repair our knees through knee replacement surgery and even more incredible that they can perform the extensive surgery that reassembled your right leg following your car accident!

I am praying for you, Deborah. I am hoping that you will find answers to your insurance issues so that you can focus on what is most important--feeling better and eliminating your pain.

This site has so many wonderful people with helpful ideas! I'm glad that you have reached out to share your story. Please let us know how you are doing. Know that you aren't alone with this trouble.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You have had a hard time!  The advice to get  inserts and special shoes to adjust the length of the leg is very good. . . Otherwise, it's going to cause untold problems with your hips and back et c.  A friend of ours had this problem after a hip replacement, and until they sorted it out he was in pain all the time . .Hope you can sort something out with the insurance . .we are so lucky here in Europe that we forget sometimes how difficult it is for people when their insurance doesn't come through for them. . .

. . .

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Some of the best orthopaedic doctors in the world are in New York. Why haven't you returned to New York where your insurance will cover your health care?
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up