pain management

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 67 and reasonably fit .I had an anterior and posterior vaginal repair nearly 2 weeks ago I was in hospital for 3 days and was surprised how well I felt only needed regular paracetamol . I certainly feel tired and luckily have a great supportive husband . I have been going for short walks and peeing ok and bowels working ok . My main concern is pain management.This seems to be worse, crampy , period type pain and not relieved with paracetamol.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm happy you are doing so well only a few weeks post op.  I am almost 5 weeks and still having difficulties...pain, discomfort, still not walking any distance or driving.  I am very discouraged and not seeing a lot of improvement.  My surgeon said recovery is around 8 weeks...ha!  Not a hope.  I am 64 and went into this very fit, feeling that I could bounce back quickly so this is a shocker for me.  Do you think a hammer might help?☺️
    • Posted

Hi Barbara , sorry that you are not fully recovered . I am still working 4 days a week as a nurse consultant and due back on the 23/3/15 but have the feeling I will not be ready. I think the gynaecologists need to warn us about how long we are likely to need to fully recover .

It is certainly helpful to have these forums to share info . Happy international Women' s Day !

• Posted

Hi Iona

I'm 5 weeks post op and pain comes and goes. At two weeks post op I

also needed quite a bit of pain relief. The swelling was still there at that

stage, both inside and out but it did ease.

Today I walked quite a bit and did my pelvic floors a bit too much.

Muscles atrophy quite quickly and they need building back up again...

and that's going to hurt. So there's quite a few reasons why we might

be in pain I reckon.

Have you considered seeing your GP just in case there's a cause for the cramping?

• Posted

Hi Iona,

I'm just over 4 weeks post op and I too have the crampy period type pain. I have found it is worse when I try to do anything, so I think the key thing is rest. I know much easier said than done. I'm an active 53 year old and it's driving me insane. All the advice on here is rest, rest and more rest. I've been taking paracetamol and occasionally ibuprofen. The pain never really goes completely but does improve a little. Hopefully time will be a healer. Take care

• Posted

Gaffer tape yourself to the couch. ..stop that chore thinking and get into netfix baby!

Big hug x

• Posted

Thanks Patsy, that really is the best advice. It seems a long haul but I'm getting my head around the idea that that is how it is so I will have to be patient. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.