Pain med concerns

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 18 days post TKR. I am taking Norco. However my doctor gives me only 40 pills at a time. I have to cut back on medication to make it last more that five days. I take the medication before PT and then every 6 hours ( two pills). By six hours I am in agony.) sleep is horrible. I feel like I am begging my doctor for more medication each time I call him. Should I still have this much pain? I am in U.S. and am unsure if I am just being a baby about pain.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm 7 weeks post surgery and just starting to get some decent sleep. I went back to teaching high school this past week. I stopped taking oxy after one week because of the way it made me feel. I take 5 mg of Vicodin but only when I go to bed. I find that it takes about an hour before it kicks in and lasts for about 5 or 6 hours. Once i wake up from the pain, though, I just get up because I can't take another Vicodin and then drive or teach. I have some pain during the day but I can handle that. No way I could sleep with it though.It is getting better, Ellen. I thought I was going crazy in the first few weeks because of the sleep deprivation. Going back to work, along with PT and the exercizes, help to exhuast me so now I can actually sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.