Pain months after rectocele repair with mesh

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had rectocele repair at the end of December 2014.  I won't go into the pain.  It did repair my problem with uncontrolled bowel movements, but I've not been able to have intercourse since.  The surgeon used mesh to reinforce my thin tissue and it appears this is the problem.  Very tight at vaginal opening - painful to the touch, and painful within the vagina during intercourse.  Very painful.  It is now July and there is no improvement. 

When I saw the doctor in February and again in April, he said I could have more surgery to correct this..  I can't bear to think of being in that much pain again. He also said to try stretching the area.  Right.  The surgeon had been recommended and I had every confidence in him, but now I wonder.  

Has anyone out there had this problem?  What di you do?

Thanks for any help.  Was SO looking forward to having normal intercourse again.  Thank God for a patient and considerate husband!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Raesue , very sorry to hear of your discomfort at attempts of intercourse . I am 15 weeks post anterior and posterior surgery , I am still hanging on to some unresolved stitches and uncomfortable scar tissue . Both my surgeon and company doctor have advised me to 'use it' in order to exercise it ! Well easier said than done , it has proven to be extremely uncomfortable and painful , my company doctor is writing to my GP requesting I am provided with vaginal dilators. The idea is that you start with the smallest one inserting it once a day for ten minutes and gradually working up through the sizes . Obviously this should be done in the laying down position and you should expect a bit of discomfort but not pain and of course lots of lubrication . it might be worth having chat with your surgeon and see if this could be an alternative to more surgery . 
    • Posted

Thank you Helen, for your encouragement.  I read where someone described the pain as like razor blades - and I agree, unfortunately.. Saw one of those dilators in a catalog but have been embarrassed to order one.  Are they giving you a prescription for one?  Please share where you find one so that I may be brave enough to try.  Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi. I must say I was rather embarrassed talking to my company doctor about the use of the dilators, at the time is was just was a little bit to much for me to come to terms with .  But I went away and had a good think about it and came to the conclusion I want to have my sex life back with my husband . I did my research on the Internet watched some useful videos online and went back to the company doctor and he said he would write to my doctor , which he should receive this week . The company doctor said that my GP should be able to order them into the surgery or I may have to attend a gynaecology appointment at the hospital to receive them . I was tempted to order on line to speed up the process but I decided that I should use NHS approved equipment . I hope this helps . 
    • Posted

That's very helpful, Helen.  Maybe I can contact the surgeon's office to see if there's a prescription that can be sent to me.  If not, perhaps I can go through my local gyn.

Please let me know about your progress, and if you're interested I, too, will keep in touch with you.  It helps to know someone else is going through this.  I've learned so much from your posts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.