Pain on inside of knee 13 weeks post-op

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a left TKR on 21/01/2016 and has been doing well until last week when I developed pain below the knee close to the inside of my leg.  The pain is excruciating when I lift my leg off the floor when walking or even when I am sitting and try to lift my foot off the floor.  Standing for any period of time is difficult and when I start walking after standing even for a few minutes it is pure agony.  My pt gave me excersises for a pinched nerve in my lower back that invloves bending my upper body forward and letting my harms hang towards the floor.  The moment I bend over the pain kills me and I have to stop.  It almost feels like the pain I had before the TKR but far worse.  I have been using my TENS for the past three days, elevated the leg, iced etc. but the swelling isn't going down and the pain is not getting better.  Has anybody experienced something similar?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am so sorry about your pain and discomfort Meraai. What bothers me the most is that , while I know everyone heals at their own pace, I would think at 13 weeks you'd be feeling A LOT better painwise. I had that same terrible sharp pain on the inside of both my new TKRs (R done 1/22/16 , L done 3/8/16 ). At both 2 week post op visits the pain was especially present, but at both 6 week visits, the pain was gone from inside the knee. I was told that the reason for the pain is because of all the surgical moving , and REMOVEING of mucles and ligaments. My surgeon said that during my TKR, my ACL and the PCL ligaments were removed because they were no longer needed to stabilize the knee.The design of the artificial joint supports itself while bending forwards. When all this detaching is being done the patella is moved to the side in order to keep it intact. Only my MCL and LCL which keeps the knee from shifting from side to side was left still attatched...Yikes! No wonder the inner knee pain, it hurt just hearing what was removed and moved around! But still at 6 weeks , both knees, no pain on inner knee anymore .

Like I said everyone heals and has different issues with their own healing (believe me I'm fighting my own battles with a slight bend that was found later during my PT, that I'm trying to correct...I am not a happy camper because of it too!!)

Meraai , you are at 13 weeks. I would be very concerned about the pain level you are experiencing.I hope you have an urgent follow-up visit already scheduled with your surgeon to have a look at your knee and discuss all of your symptoms. I have found that with both of my new knees, pain has given away to mostly a nagging stiffness that must be walked out, stretched out or peddled out constantly. But sharp pain like yours this far into healing time? I would definitely have an appointment made to find out what's going on.

Hope this helped. Best wishes on your healing and recovery. God Bless.

• Posted

Hi Deborah

Thank you for your input.  It is good to hear that you are doing so well with 2 TKR's done so shortly after each other!

Apart from issues with my back and hip because of a pinched nerve after the operation I was doing fine -   nothing to complain about as far as pain in and around the knee is concerned.  That is why I am worried about this awful pain out of nowhere.  I have an appointment with the surgeon next week (he is on leave at the moment) and have been prescribed Celebrex and Tramacet to treat the swelling and pain in the meantime.  Will ice, elevate and rest as much as possible and keep a positive attitude!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.