Pain out of nowhere

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 36 years old and 2 weeks post-op for a cystocele (anterior) prolapsed bladder repair harvesting my own faschia. I had quite a bit of pain the 1st 2 days after surgery and mainly just very sore up to a week. After that able to walk around normal (no longer like I rode a horse the entire day prior). The second week felt tons better, finally able to turn okay during sleep without pain. I did have one or 2 days where I felt super achy and didn't want to do much but lay on the couch. Then about 3 days ago I felt nothing like I didn't even have the surgery. I just hung around the house and did minimal things. However, yesterday and today I have felt pain just over where my pelvic bone sticks out on my right side. Almost similar to if you've ever had acute gas pains. It doesn't bother me too much if I am laying down, but if I move my right leg it really hurts there. Almost as if I've strained my groin but I feel the pain directly above. Going on day two of this pain  I can feel it in my back on my right side as well. No burning sensation when peeing so I don't think it is a bladder infection and no fever. Anyone else experience this type of pain? Is it normal to feel better every day and then suddenly feel terrible even if you didn't overdo it the days prior? Also, how long before this swelling goes down? I feel like when I'm looking down it looks as if I am wearing a mans baseball cup, only it's made of my own skin!!! Any advice of direction would be great. Thanks!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I am 55 years old and 3 weeks post-op from a  cystocele repair also. About a week ago, I experienced extreme pain only it was on the left side. I had a 2 week check with my doctor and he said it was probably from pulling everything so tight when they stitched it all together. (I had also had a femoral hernia repaired on that side 25 years ago, which scar tissue may or may not have added to the discomfort.) My doctor didn't advise any action, but I was so uncomfortable that I decided to ice it. I sat on an ice bag and also put one over the area that was so painful for 20-30 minutes at a time, 3-4 times a day. By the end of the third day of icing I didn't have the pain on my left side anymore and it also helped the bottom side too. My surgery was done vaginally. I still feel pelvic pressure (probably swelling) and pulling if I move wrong. Laying or reclining are the most comfortable positions. Don't stand too much at a time.  Today is the best I have felt since surgery...don't feel like the bottom is falling out. Was your surgery done vaginally or do you have an external incision? Curious because of the swelling.

Hope this helps and you feel better.

God bless!

Trish

• Posted

Mine was done vaginally as well but they didn't do a mesh sling, they used my own tissue which they took from my pubic area. Looks like a c-section scar. Just lots of swelling. Possibly from using my own tissue? Just weird how I was feeling so great and all of a sudden felt so crappy.
    • Posted

They used my own tissue as well, no mesh, but was all done through the vagina, so no external incision or external swelling. My incision is on the inside of my vagina. I went shopping for about one hour today...quickly reminded that squatting and bending are not good. Still feel pretty good though.
  • Posted

Hi,

All i can say is healing takes time. I had a uterus lift repair about 11-12 weeks ago. Some days i feel okay and others i do not. Your body has gone through alot. Give your self more time. I hope you feel better soon. Sending you a get well hug!

• Posted

Probably swelling or nerve irritation but keep a close eye on it. Sounds a bit like appendicitis too. If you get any fever or pain gets worse get an ultrasound asap.
    • Posted

I thought that at first too but now I don't honk that is the case because when I push on the area that is bothering me, it only hurts while pushing down and not on the release (a sign of appendicitis). However, I am pretty sure this is causing sciatic nerve pain as now my right leg keep having this dull ache behind my knee and my right foot aches as well. I am limping when walking. Going to try and get an appointment tomorrow because now I am worried there is infection possibly affecting and touching my sciatic nerve.
    • Posted

Sounds really different than anything I've experienced. Hopefully you get into the Doctor right away and they can figure it out. Prayers for healing & strength!

God Bless! 

Trish

• Posted

How are you feeling? Did you get to see the Doctor?

Thoughts and prayers going up for you!

Trisha

• Posted

I didn't end up going to the doctor. They just gave me another round of pain mess. I called and talked to them about how I was feeling on Friday band they told me if I got a fever or if the pain level was still high after taking the narcotics, to go to the ER. By Monday I was feeling much better.

I have a feeling it could have been a combo between my regular swelling and lack of a BM for a few days. The extra pressure was probably pushing against my sciatic nerve. It seemed to improve after each BM there after.

Sorry took me awhile to reply. Our new home closed escrow on Friday and have been busy setting up movers, cleaners, painters, and finishing up other moving duties. Nothing of the physical sort other than unpacking a few boxes here and there, but feeling much better, thanks!

• Posted

Went to the doctor yesterday because the pain returned 😢 She said no need to worry because everything looked fine. No infection or hernia. She just reminded me how serious the surgery is and that when they harvest your own fascia they take a piece of tissue directly from your abdominal wall and that is why it can sometimes hurt so bad for 6-8 weeks. She agreed that every day you will gradually get better but also you will have some great days and really bad days mixed in there too. Also, the sciatica pain she said was not related to the other pain. She said that it was more than likely from comsensating during sleeping positions or walking that can offset your balance and back issues may arise. I feel much better now, knowing everything is alright.
  • Posted

So happy you are doing better! I sent you a private message.

God bless!

Trisha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.