Pain, pain, pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am three weeks out from TKR, let me tell ya, I've always considered myself a strong person. I raised my kids while working full time, went to college full-time at 40 while working full time. I Swim, bike, run. This pain from the TKR is kicking by butt. The pain is deep in my thigh bone and calf. My ankle is black and blue and I have a lot if swelling. I went to get a few groceries today, rode in the auto cart and was crying before I left. I was not expecting this much pain. I take a pain med every 4 hours and it just dulls it for a short time. I can flex to 90 and extent to 0. I haven't had a decent sleep yet. Seeking some advice.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It will get better. I am 10.5 out and still get some discomfort. The first month was awful
  • Posted

Hi Roberta

Sounds as though your very busy i dont know your situation at home but it sounds as though your going to fast try and slow down take your medication elevate your leg as often as possible ice pack on there and most importantly rest your not going to do yourself any good the way your going this as everyone will tell you is a marathon not a sprint .

• Posted

Your knee will lead you. Listen to it. You will do better if you follow rather than lead. I am 10.5 weeks out and still get tired and still ache. I have worked out all my life. Be patient.
  • Posted

Try these...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Toughest recovery on the planet.  Forget about how "strong" you think you are.  There are certain realities of a TKR that transcend anything you may have believed beforehand.  You will be pounded and tested...but we all make it through.

"Never give up.  Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Hello. I'm 8 1/2 weeks out RTKR. I would go back to doc and get a new pain med. They work differently for everyone. Plus, maybe your trying to do too much too soon. At 3 weeks, all I was doing was staying home and icing all day long. My swelling was gone by 5 weeks. I will say that weeks 3-6 were the worst. The reality of how helpless you are sets in. And you're trying to increase your ROM while healing. It's tough. Ice and rest are your best friends at this point. If your new meds make you tired, sleep, take naps. Who cares? Gotta be selfish. I can feel myself getting better all the time, but still have some pain at night. You gotta let everything heal. Good luck.

• Posted

1st of all....3 weeks is way to soon to be shopping. You are going to have to forget the superwoman image and realize you have been through one of the most brutal surgeries the medical field has produced.

You need lots of rest, hydration and ice. You should still be taking pain meds on schedule while working on things like strengthing quads and doing leg lifts. You cant fool your body with your imagined strength and condition. There are lots of us that have thought we could out think this and had back sliding that created more and more problems. I have had 11 surgeries on my knee/leg creating a need for 5 complete rehabs. Slow and steady is your best bet. Get some body else to shop and cook and clean. This is a major lesson for the entire family to use as learning experience if in nothing else, patience. Good luck. Scroll around and find Chicos lessons in tor reality. You'll do fine as soon as you realize you arent completely in charge anymore.

• Posted

Listen to da man!!!  People who think they'll be back on their feet and leading a normal life in a few weeks are completely delusional.  "Brutal" is a great word for this.  It's not fun, easy or quick.  Recovery will take a lot of time and effort.  Rid your mind of expectations.  Be Zen: "I'll be better when I'm better."  No one can put a date on it...you have to go through whatever is ahead of you...period.  Honestly, when you get to the six MONTH mark, you can hopefully look back on the worst of it all.  Don't expect to progress noticeably each day...use weeks and months to see how you're coming along.  Do expect advances, setbacks and plateaus...all normal...and never judge your progress by anyone else's.  No excuses...do the work.  Stay strong and determined.  You will get better.

• Posted

Hi Roberta... yes 3 weeks is very early for you... Ice as much as you can.. and take your meds.. I found Mercyndol tablets helpful and magnesium for a calming effect... when your scar heals more over time you will be able to achieve a lot more movement with your knee... take your time

I'm 12 weeks now and everything is so much easier.... and pain free.... Hang in there... Shazza

• Posted

With this sort of surgery there is no such thing as a strong person - yeah Roberta - that means, and includes YOU ! Got it. Try and get your MD to give you stronger pain meds. Stop doing all the heroic things ( frankly I think they are stupid) around the home. Hopefully you can shop on line - if you can put a post on this website no reason not to shop on line, but I don't know your circumstances so I may be wrong there. Why are you punishing yourself ?

?I didn't get decent sleep till about 6 weeks. Get used to it. Keep doing all your PT exercises if in doubt get onto Youtube and in the search box type in exercises following a TKR and be guided there. there are some great short videos explaining the 'Whys' and 'Hows' of the exercises and spend your whole day doing them. Elevate and ice. 90 degrees ain't good enough .......... to return to your normal walking you gotta be aiming for around 130 ! (Give or take a few degrees depending on the person). If possible get to a massage therapist who can help you work on your leg soft tissue and leg strengthening exercises. Also important to stop scar tissue from forming, if that happens your chances of getting beyond 90 are pretty uphill !

?My surgeon wouldn't let me outta hospital until I could get 90 .... I did that in 3 days, was home the afternoon of the 3 day - and thats when the work really began, and the pain and the lack of sleep. Then by week 8 I was off crutches, driving my car and back at work driving buses at week 11.

Good luck. You'll get there eventually. Just remember - the surgery you have had is pretty close to butchery !

John

• Posted

After reading all these responses I'm realizing that I've placed way too much expectation on myself. I appreciate your advice and plan to utilize the advice from every response. I was told from my surgeon to be off the crutch last Friday. I'm going back on. I am going to relax more and definitely set up an appointment with a massage therapist. My leg is very swollen and that is the only thing keeping me at 90, hopefully between PT and massage, It will go down. I'm driven because I've always had to be, I don't have to be anymore, I have to remind myself about it every day. I took a lot away from everyone and will use it all to help me through this...Thank YOU..

• Posted

Now you're talking. For the 1st time in your life....think ME 1st

• Posted

No worries Roberta, no worries - just treat yourself to self indulgence - controlling pain, doing exercise  get some massage on the leg and look forward to a great future. It won't ever feel like your natural knee/leg but hey, hell, it'll be damn good close enough and you'll be pain free.

May the force be with you.

John

• Posted

Roberta,  welcome to our TKA group.  It has really been a wonderful source of encouragement for me.  I am 9 weeks post-op and can really relate to what you are going through...as can all of us.  Everything that has been said already is true but I would like to add one major thing that might help you. You can do all the excercises, ice, elevate, go to physical therapy etc...and be a perfect patient...and still "hit the wall" around 3-6 weeks. It is only when you finally take a deep breath and submit to the fact that this surgery is like no other!  It will teach you patience and perserverance that you never new you had. The more you fight the slow and steady process of healing the worse it will be.  Revel in the small steps of recovery...a few hours more of sleep, a couple of more degrees of flexion, alittle less pain medicine,being able to get in/out of the car, going outside and sitting in the sunshine, actually allowing a friend or family member to fix grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. It will get easier..but maybe not tomorrow..maybe next week. Breathe in,,,breathe out...relax and stop fighting the recovery process. We are all here for you!

• Posted

Roberta

I am nine months post op and i still have pain and swelling every day .I had both my knees be the same day TKR. And I went back to waiting tables three and a half months later my doctor thinks I'm nuts but i gotta to work. Let's start with sleep buy an over the counter sleep aid one with no added pain meds. Buy a heating pad,for stiffness. And keep icing. And make sure you rest when you tired SLEEP is the most important thing it's how your body heals itself. Go straight to you doctor and tell him or her your pain meds a cutting it and find something that works.

• Posted

Tana......good to hear from you. I know you are happy to have it behind you but also sure that long day on your feet isn't making the healing anything of joy. BTW, how's that "kind, understanding, sympathetic" boss of yours treating you now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.