Pain, pain, pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am three weeks out from TKR, let me tell ya, I've always considered myself a strong person. I raised my kids while working full time, went to college full-time at 40 while working full time. I Swim, bike, run. This pain from the TKR is kicking by butt. The pain is deep in my thigh bone and calf. My ankle is black and blue and I have a lot if swelling. I went to get a few groceries today, rode in the auto cart and was crying before I left. I was not expecting this much pain. I take a pain med every 4 hours and it just dulls it for a short time. I can flex to 90 and extent to 0. I haven't had a decent sleep yet. Seeking some advice.

1 like, 18 replies

Report / Delete

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think you are expecting too much too soon, and you need to talk to your doctor about better pain killers. I was also black and blue till someone told me about echinacea. My bruises vanished in hours. As everyone on these discussions say, these are huge operations and you can't rush things. Good luck

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You sound just like I did at three weeks Roberta. It will get better. I'm fourteen weeks and still have swelling and pain. Nowhere near as bad as it was and at three weeks I was in tears and wondered what on earth I had done to myself.

I saw my consultant last week and he says my expectations are too high.I want to run before I can walk.He says you can continue to recover for up to twelve months.

This past week I have been out shopping more, even going round large department stores and taking an interest in life again.Each week you will notice an improvement Roberta.It may not be much but definitely a little more on the way to full recovery.I would just rest more for the next few days.You may have overdone it. I did a couple of times early on and I really paid for it. Just put your feet up and rest and ice.Exercise a little but don't overdo it just yet. Try sleeping on your back with your legs up on two pillows, don't have them just under the knees.This was the only wayI could   manage to get some sleep the first few weeks.

Keep your chin up, you will get there eventually.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have had 2 knee replacement within 3 months ive learned from the first one rest elevate ice and stay on ur meds every 4 hours i would take 2 since u say its not lasting what are u taking and wats the dosage. Dont rush this i myself am fairly young and i had to allow myself to heal properly. Trust me its takes time.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up