Pain post gallbladder opp

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I'm 3 days post laparoscopic gallbladder removal and still in a fair bit of pain. Hard to stand up straight. Coughing very painfull and still very reliant on pain killers. I'm finding it hard to get comfy and getting other aches and pains from sitting too long. When did other people start to feel a lot better?

Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It took me about 6-7 days to finally feel like I could get up and around without any pain.

i also had a hard time laying down flat, my shoulders would hurt so bad. The doctor Sid it was the medicine they gave me during my surgery and it would take a couple days and go away. 

• Posted

Same as Alisha about a week to come off painkillers.. Although I took them at night for a while longer... You'll suddenly feel better don't be fooled into doing anything that uses abdominal muscles ..just after a week after the op I swept the floor gently and did I pay for it felt like I'd bee punched in the tummy ... After 2 days settled again .. For 6 weeks be careful then be prepared to be fatigued for 12 weeks .. Your healing .. Then yippee you'll feel well .. Really well .. Patience 

as my mother used to say be a patient patient 😜

• Posted

I'd say 2 weeks was how long it took me to get back to work and function normally.
  • Posted

Hi, agree with sally. Take care of yourself don't rush your recovery you will think you are better sooner than you are. Im 4 months post op and if I do alot of lifting or stretching I can still feel it. For the first week I slept propped up with lots of pillows at the sides and that was much more comfy. Also nurse taught me to breath out as you sit or stand or get out of bed. This really helped when I remembered! I found it helped when i was up to have a little walk around the house before going back to bed. Be prepared to suddenly go tired and just rest. Eat light for the first week or until you feel ready for more food. Think your recovery also affected by age the younger you are the quicker your recovery plus depends how bad gallbladder was I.e infected etc. Wishing you well.
  • Posted

You have just had surgery. Be patient and hopefully this will settle down.

I am waiting for gallbladder removal and people I have spoken to say it does take time to get over it.

Try not ot worry.

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you for all the replies. It's a week today since my opp and although I'm still in a bit of pain I can now do some things like getting up. I had to start antibiotics yesterday as the main wound through my belly button had become infected but overall I do now feel that I can see the end of the pain.

Carla

• Posted

Glad you are stsarting to feel better. Take care Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.