Pain relief

Posted , 15 users are following.

Good Morning , I am new to this, but at the moment I'm wishing I had never had this done. I had a TKR done on Friday, the epidural and sedation didn't work so had to have a general. The pain relief I got whilst in hospital was good, came home yesterday and all I've got is paracetamol and coedine, which has no effect at all, slept in 20 minute intervals all night. Our dog had her crucial element ligament done about 17 months ago and she was on better pain relief. I am honestly regretting what I have done, sorry for sounding so negative.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Diane , I'm now exactly 6 weeks post TKR and still having problems.Walking is getting stronger every day and  I'm still doing pain relief  but not so much nights are the worst I agree .Try a very soft pillow bought one in Next brilliant £7.00 it's so soft this really helps get comfy .

This op is really a time thing 6 weeks then 3 months and then I'm told 1 year for full recovery .I so agree  re pain relief keep the meds going I'm on Solpaldol and Paracetamol ring GP . It's not a quick fix this op my surgeon did warn me painted a black picture and he was so right .!!!! Chris 

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies, I have phoned the doc and he's going to ring me back. Unfortunately I am allergic to ibuprofen, get better looking lips than Mick Jagger, lol, so can't take it. Husband told me off and said I should have texted him, I'm sleeping in the spare room at the moment. Have got my ice pack on, so will be feeling ok soon, just need something stronger for night time. I suppose we are all different, just didn't anticipate the amount of pain. I will pick myself up and give myself a good talking too and then get on with my recovery. Once again, thank you.
  • Posted

Hi all, the Doctor has just called back and after much umming and aahing has decided i can have some Tramadol, a weeks supply of it, felt like i had to grovel to get that, but never mind, at least i have got something.

• Posted

Hi Diane

I am 8 weeks in and took Tramadol from week 2 to 5. Now just on 1000mg paracetamol every 6 hours, maximum dose. My surgeon stressed that I must take it promptly and it works for me. I came off Ibuprofen, codeine cos of constipation and then off Tramadol. But, and it might be just me,  I get very bad withdrawal symptoms if I simply stop Tramadol so I came off gradually over a week. I am back to using ice every few hours during the night to help me get comfy. 

Good luck

• Posted

Hi again diane. Ensure, if Tramadol works for the pain, that you don't run out of them. I was taking 3 a day and if I missed one I knew it! Keep telling the doc you need them, if you are in pain. It's a similar problem here in Australia. Seems they think we'll all become junkies! What a crock! Stay on top of it and take them as prescribed. Much good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, Diane,

I totally agree with Lyn, push hard for a repeat prescription. Here in Ireland they seem to be a bit more pragmatic, but also have a limit. Keep us posted,

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

I found my local MD's to be really weird about prescribing painkillers. Here in Oz they are so P.C. and because my sister is soon to have a knee replacement I am keeping a small stockpile of pain killers so she does not have to come home and face no proper pain relief. The Norspan patches have enabled me to do some household chores and shopping without being in constant pain. Have a great day! Cold here at 13 degrees!

• Posted

Hi Lyn,

How are you doing today?

Hope the weather has improved.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan. All pretty good here. Apart from minor roof leaks. Plenty of folks worse off than us! My knees are stiff as with many others here. I am continuing with hydrotherapy and have one more physio visit. When I sit down for 10 mins or more, it is a slow process to get moving again. We just need to keep moving! How are you tonight? Stay mobile. Best wishes, Lyn
    • Posted

Hi Lyn,

Glad you are doing OK.

I'm good just in bed now.

Had a good day, only did 2 sets of exercises then went to supermarket.

Weather lovely here so had a quite BBQ.

Weather to change tomorrow. Some heavy rain warnings, how is it at your end?

• Posted

Hi Alan

Qld and NSW have been inundated by king tides and 120km winds. Lots of people have been evacuated and we are fortunate we are around 500 metres from the beach so no land loss here. The kind of rain we've had is abnormal. Good excuse to stay at home and watch movies! Enjoy your night/ day and heal well. Best wishes Lyn

• Posted

You are feeling like most of us have felt at the beginning. I am 13 weeks in and am still saying the same thing but time heals all wounds. I could not take any pain killers through this whole ordeal and it has not been easy. I have improved since the beginning but had to go through 2 blood clots and now a frozen shoulder. The doctor seems happy with my progress so I should be happy too I guess. The pain does get better. There will be good days and bad days. I mostly have trouble with the stiffness in my knee. They say it takes months to go away but don't get discouraged. Do your exercise faithfully. Rest and ice and elevate. Soon you will find the right spot for your knee and you will be able to sleep most of the night. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck.

• Posted

Welcome to our world of new knees, Diane. I feel your pain, but that doesn't make it any easier I know. I'll be 4 weeks in. Couple of days.  The first few weeks are oblivion. I hate to go to bed in one way but I know it will be another day tomorrow. Time will heal. Get your pain under control otherwise it's insanity. Check in with the group for some great support and tips. It helps that others understand. Hang in there girl and I wish you well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.