Pain & swelling after 10 weeks

Posted , 9 users are following.

I still have pain & swelling from Tkr even after 10 weeks. Nights are awful too. It seems to me a vicious circle. We're told to rest if knee swells & is painful but what @ exercising, I find knee is so stiff now I'm going backwards. This can't be normal or is it ?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my TKR operation in 2014 with a post operative infection 'Jackpot'. Now, finally the latest bacteriological culture result showed 'no growth. Good news! But, bad news, the pain & swelling since the operation, remains. Standing & Walking 15 minutes max! Morning Pain & Stiffness is hard. I usually take Tramadol 0.25 mg. Never more than 50 mg! My appetite is great. I enjoy daily driving. ( Nobody walks in Bangkok) I sleep well every night. Do I want another TKR operation (revision)? No, not for the time being. Bangkok-Johnny

• Posted

Thanks for replying , yes I've been told full recovery can take up to 2 years. I just thought it would be easing more now. Though ,having said that I guess the pain isn't quite so intense it just feels it is in the night. X

• Posted

Phew J - you've been through the mill and back with that!  That is such good news about you being infection free now!  I'm sorry it's all left you in such a bad condition though.  But wonderful to be in Bangkok!  Enjoy it!

• Posted

Hi - I am 6 months & 1 week since right TKR. I have been told by physio that it will take 18 months post op before knee feels 'normal'. Never use heat or pillows! Also told that must do exercises every day for at least 1 year - housework & walking doesn't count as exercising. Walking must also be done daily. Elevating & resting knee plus ice several times daily. I am not consistent with any of these instructions. My knee continues to swell & be painful - whether sitting, standing, walking, driving, etc although is a more tolerable pain than before the surgery. I also experience that burning feeling frequently. Outside of leg still slightly numb. Lots of sciatica every day because operative leg a bit longer, gait is now different, & sitting way too much. Still glad I had the surgery. Am planning to have the left one done next this coming summer or fall. I take 1 Tylenol arthritis two times a day & use voltaren gel on my leg when cannot tolerate the pain or when running errands. Stopped all the heavy pain mess 3-4 months ago

• Posted

I also have read that pillows are ok Anyway I use a pillow for night time and I'm doing ok with it

• Posted

My surgeon & Physiotherapist absolutely denied my several requests for a pillow to help with the pain when sleeping as prevents the knee from being able to attain flatness st the back. I have learned to sleep without it.

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Yeah, my doc said no pillow under my knees but I did it anyway...only way I could get to sleep early on.  Did not affect my recovery...but that's just me.

For the first two months, it's just as bad as it can get...period.  It seems like there's no relief and this will never end.  All of us have been there or are in the middle of it now.  Hardest recovery I've ever had to do...and I've had 28 ops (mostly minor) in 17 years.  Worse than my hip, back fusion and more.  Gotta be strong...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

• Posted

I thnk this pillow issue depends on if you sleep on your back or side.  I sleep on my side and tried it one night but was more comfortable without it but some find it useful and it's not going to stop the leg straighten if they're already bent when you're on your side.

• Posted

Ah Sandra, I know exactly how you feel, I'm not consistent either I try to do exercises at least twice a day but I don't always. My thinking is if I don't exercise or agravate it , it might not hurt so much. :-(

• Posted

At 10 weeks?  Normal.  This is a LONG recovery that cannot be rushed.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

Hope these are helpful.

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Thanks Chico for encouragement I am definitely going to try harder xx
  • Posted

Well, I'm afraid it is pretty normal.  It's a very up and down recovery.  A really good day always seems to be followed by an awful one.  some of us take longer to get rid of the swelling.  . I know I did. . .Exercise seems on the one hand to loosen it up, and then afterwards increase the swelling. . but it is pretty essential to keep exercising the knee  in spite of swelling.  Not too extreme, but not  good to give up  for a couple of days either.  

• Posted

Ah thanks Martinarvelo, I need all the encouragement I can get. I really must try & exercise more . X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.