Pain under left side ribcage....

Posted , 44 users are following.

About a week ago I woke to a pain on my left side under the ribs, I thought I'd slept awkwardly but the pain didn't go as it usually would. The pain is like a stitch/pulled muscle/gas sort of pain but with sharp stabbing pains also.

I ended up in A&E and was admitted whilst they ran tests. I tested positive for the protein that clots release but a vq scan ruled a clot out. I had orotein/blood in my urine but doctors said this is normal in a woman of my age (34). An ecg and chest xray both came back clear. I was then discharged and told it could be muscular skeletal.

It's about a week since the onset of pain and it does feel less painful when turning in bed etc but I still have this pain under my left rib. If you have ever been pregnant, it's the feeling of baby with its foot in your rib. It's still twinging to my back. I have also got random sharp pains in my stomach and it feels a bit bruised. Bowel movements are softer than usual but not diarrhoea as in I have to go urgently and extremely regularly.

In general been feeling under the weather for weeks. Had dental work and infrction 5 or 6 weeks ago and have had numerous doses if antibiotics prescribed; could this be a link? I have eaten live yogurt to avoid thrush. I am aware of gassy noises/feelings in my gut.

Any help is appreciated. smile

3 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Boogagirl, If You`ve Been Coughing Or Sneezing Then You May Have Pulled A Muscle Between You`re Ribs.{can happen whilst sleeping}. Yogurt Gives You Some Probotics But Try Some Cider Vinegar Daily. Antibiotics Don`t Help Thrush As They Kill Good Fauna In Your Gut. Refer To Candida In You`re Search Engine.. Get Well Soon.
    • Posted

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. I haven't had a cough but yes I do sneeze lol but can't recall feeling injured afterwards. I was eating live yogurt only to prevent thrush which it has but wondered if antibiotics could cause other stomach problems like gas?
    • Posted

The Sooner You Finish Your Antibiotics The Better. Try The Cider Vinegar. Rib Muscles Take 4-6 Weeks To Recover. Do Check The Candida On Your Search, They Send You A Fact Sheet 8 Pages Over Three Weeks. Thrush Is Normally In The Mouth Or Downstairs,Stomach Is Candida. English Doctors Haven`t a Clue Of What Going On
  • Posted

Hello I have this problem from time to time my doctor said it is from my descending:colon  my stool becomes soft almost diarrhea like and I have a strong urgency to go then it will pass for a time and come back again did you have a stomach x-ray to make sure you did not have any bowel blockage  this is also a very common problem for people that have irritable bowel syndrome or  
    • Posted

Hi poweronman, thanks for the reply. No stomach xray was done, they seemed to focus on my chest/lungs/heart. Bloodworm was normal aside from the aforementioned which was ruled out anyway. Do you know what causes the Colon to descend? I feel an urgency to pass a bowel movement but once I do I don't need to go again for a while. This ribcage pain is not excruciating just twinges and it very uncomfortable. Lying down is mist comfortable for me, sitting seems to aggrivate it.
    • Posted

Where are your stomach pains located. Are they above your navel on left right or middle. Do they come and go
    • Posted

All over really Becka. I think it's gas. Yes comes an go's. Thanks for replying.
  • Posted

Is the pain on the bone, or on the abdomen under the rib?

I have the same thing (I thought about the same baby pushing on rib thing, I also wondered if I slept funny). 

Mine feels like it's right on the bone, though. I only have to press lightly to make it hurt, or bend the wrong way. 

Oddly enough, I recently took antibiotics, too. But I also did a lot of strenuous work -- lifting, shoveling, etc.,, so I may have either pulled something, or I was leaning over something putting pressure on that area.

If your pain feels like it's on the ribs rather than the abdomen, look up costochronditis. It's a pretty common condition that causes rib pain, and it can be quite painful. 

• Posted

Hi xmaryx, I have been diagnosed with costocondrhitis before but that was for the upper chest area. This new pain is under the left ribcage and radiates to my back. My whole stomach is feeling not right, gassy and strained as if I've been vomitting a lot which I haven't. The left floating rib does feel as if it wants to pop or click. I would say the pain is in the actual rib like it's inflamed but the muscle strain pain is on the left torso which has eased over the last week.
  • Posted

I have had the same thing on and off for the last few months, only mine is on the right side.  At first I thought I had pulled a muscle but when it did not go away I went to the doctor, had blood work, urine screen, ultrasound to check gallbladder and liver, everything came back normal.  Like you said it feels like when I was pregnant and the baby is presssing/pushing up into the ribs, it doesn't hurt, just very uncomfortable.  It has gone away and then comes back, I have noticed when I am stressed it seems to come back or last longer.  I have been doing research trying to figure out what it is as I have no other symptoms..  What I found is that it might be spleenic or hepatic flexure syndrome, google it.  It falls under IBS.  I have been taking peppermint oil and that seems to help a little, I just started taking diataomaceous Earth, it is to soon to tell if it is helping.  I also take probiotics and digestive enzymes.  
    • Posted

When I get that on the right side, it's usually duodenum irritation from heartburn. (Baslically like gastritis but in the duodenum). You could try heartburn meds and see if that helps. 
    • Posted

I don't get heartburn though.  What do you take antacids?  How long does it usually last when you get it?
    • Posted

Heartburn can be tricky. Sometimes it takes me awhile to realize I have it. I take Pepcid AC but there are other OTC meds like Zyrtec, Previcid, etc. It can take a week to relieve symptoms, and a month to heal. While I take the meds I also have to lay off wine, fruit, green tea, and high acid coffee. Your problem could just be from tensing up. My chest muscles get tense when I'm really anxious, then it hurts for a day or two after. 
    • Posted

Not wine!  lol.  thanks for the tips, I will get some and see if it helps and take your advice regarding the wine and coffee.
    • Posted

Once you heal, you can go back to wine. Just don't overdo it. wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.