Pain under right ribs

Posted , 4 users are following.

I havve gallstones, been managing fine with diet. Tonight I have sharp pains under right ribs. The only new foods I've had today were non-dairy ice cream and chocolate. Which one would be most likely to trigger this pain?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to say chocolate. The caffeine in it causes your gallbladder to contract sqeezing gallstones ..

i ended up on caffeine free everything ... Before my op. 

Sally 

• Posted

Ok thanks pet - I'm not fond of choc anyway so it will be easy to drop it. It was rice cakes half-covered in choc, so I won't buy them again. TY!
  • Posted

If the gall bladder detects roughly anything above 5% fat (chocolate is extremely fatty) it will cause the gall bladder to squirt  and squeeze out bile to break down the fat which the organ is supposed to do. Go fat free and you should be more or less pain free until such time as the gall stones are removed or the gall bladder is removed. I speak from experience having had to go fat free until the stones were removed with an ERCP procedure and then subsequently had my gall  bladder removed six weeks later and lost 1.75 stone in that six weeks as a result of fat free diet. I eat perfectly normaly now except very fatty things late at night. I would also add that if the bile duct totally blocks up you can end up being jaundiced like I did and ended up on intravenus antibiotics to get rid of the infection.
    • Posted

Thanks nick - I got a scan and they couldnt find any gallstones but she said she is sure I have them. That was a year ago and I've been ok since, with watching my diet. This was the first time the pain had come back - but it wasn't the full-on paralysing pain in the back, it was just short sharp pokes under the ribs. I won't eat chocolate again!
  • Posted

No chocolate! If you need chocolate there are reduced fat oreos and whoppers are low fat.  The non dairy icecream should be fine.  Drink skim milk.  Avoid fatty and spicey foods. Drink lots of water.  

I get pain under my ribs but it is fibro. I had my op Nov. 11 and I am finally feeling like myself again.

Any other question just ask. When is your op?

• Posted

I don't want to get the op. I'm trying to get the diet sorted so that the stones don't bother me. Not sure if it's possible, but I have been ok for around a year until the chocolate !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.