Pain where the incisions are and problems when eating

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I've been reading some discussions over the last 6 months but haven't really seen anything that can help us. My dad has his gallbladder removed last year. It took 4 hours, way too long in my opinion. The doctor said he lost a lot of blood which leads me to believe an error could have occured. Anyway.

Problems:

This surgery basically stole his massive strength. 

He has a lot of pain where the incisions were made, and it seems to get worse if he does anything besides rest which aggravates him because he hardly ever sat down before the GB removal.  

He is in constant pain and is like me and doesn't want to be all drugged up on pain meds. (I'd like to discover the root of the problem and help him fix it rather than mask the symptoms.) 

Questions:

What can we ask the doctor to help find the root of the problem?

He had a blood infection after the surgery will this ever go away?

Any solutions that you've found can help with healing?

How long did you feel weak after GB removal surgery?

Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

The first thing you need to do is to get your Dad to a gastroenterologist, to find out what's going on.  Are you still seeing the same doctor who treated your father, or are you seeing a gp who only wants to give him pills?  That's what it sounds like to me.  

Having the gallbladder removed is major surgery.  So it does take a long time to recover.  But if the surgery was botched by the surgeon and you're still dealing with the doctor that referred your Dad to him, well, then, you might have a problem.  xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks lynda20916. He has seen 3 different gastroenterologists at this point he'd be on to the 4th opinion. The original surgeon was not helpful and just said there was nothing wrong. I'm wondering if pain & symptoms could be due to scar tissue? Disautonomia? Bile support needed? Sludge bile? Enteric or autonomic neuropathy? I don't think his SSA/SSB levels have been checked to rule out any new immune system issues? We all just want him to feel as close to normal as he can. He is still in pain like he just had the surgery weeks ago, when in reality it will be a year in about 6 weeks. I wish we knew which doctor in our area would ACTUALLY give him answers!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi, some times it can take a long time to heal,mine was over 12 months ago,hundred times better than the pain i had before gb removal,we are all different,if your dad is still in a lot of pain, i would chase for second opinions,with tests etc,keep on, its the only way these days im afraid,my stomach still feels like mike tyson just given me a good wack to the stomach, i didnt take any pills/never given them.   keep on with your surgery, hope all gets sorted,  
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

He had his surgery May of 2017. He's had a couple of different gastroenterologists just do the same scans with same answers. I don't know why he is in so much pain and feels a big knot right above the incision areas. Thanks for replying Terry50104

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Just thought,i had pain something similar,it can be some thing to do with upper chest muscles,not strengthened back up, i was told to do deep breathing exercises  breathe in as you exhale imagine trying to bring your belly button deep up in to your chest, it will help strengthen the upper muscles, couple times a day, ;;; tell your dad worth a try, or he could insist on a ultra sound scan,;; 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So I had my go out in December and had a blood infection after too. I was off work for over 2 months and part time until a few weeks ago. I still don’t feel 100% very tired but my gp has said the infection can do this if it is a bad one.

As for the pain I get this in 2 sites the one on the right by your ribs and the other the right side of the stomach. I was told this is because things “stick together” and to expect discomfort for 1-2 years or maybe always (helpful).

I find mine gets worse when I overdo it so I use voltarol gel and this does help a little.

Good luck to your dad I hope he recovers soon.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

He also says he has a clip instead of that laser suture. Anyone have pains from this type of clip?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi, i think its a standard practise now to seal up with a clip,its titanium i believe ,i didnt even know they used one until i found out later on,;; 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up