Painful Ears and the Menopause!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I was just wondering if this is another menopausal symptom. 

For a few months now I have been having awful pain in my outer ear. I'm talking about the upper gristle part. It's always when I lie on my side while sleeping and is so painful.

People look at me like I'm a crazy woman when I mention this. I'm afraid to tell my GP as I feel he may think it is such a petty complaint. 

I am peri now for about two years and wouldn't go on HRT for medical reasons. I have a vitamin D deficiency and was told my immune system was overactive and was put on medication to balance this.

Sorry for waffling on so much. I went online for a solution and read the upper ear was related to the hormones.

Was just wondering did anyone else have this symptom or maybe it was something else?

xxxx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi helen

Menopause and decline of hormones can cause ringing in the ear type complaints,

But outer ear not heard about, 

I have woken with a painful numb ear once or twice buy due to how i slept i think.

If you have pain on the top of your outer ear have someone check it or look at it in mirror and compare with the other.

Tops of ears get sun damage so check as this can be nasty. I wont go into it. Dont wish to scare. But check that wont you.

Jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay

It is both my ears that are effected and it's every time I lie down to sleep. It's though someone squeezed top of ears with pliers.  I can rule out sun damage as I never stay out in sun as I can't tolerate it due to my pale complexion. Also I have curly hair which always falls down to cover my ears. It's going on 6 months and

its driving me crazy I am embarrassed to mention to anyone. 

When I do I always get the same reaction that no one has ever heard of it.

Sorry for the rant .!

Thx 4 the reply x

• Posted

Hi Helen

If its driving you crazy mention it to the doctor.. 

Get some full blood tests done etc aswell check all okay .. 

Jay x

• Posted

Oh wow, NOW you're telling me it was just another perimenopause symptom???!!! cheesygrin

Not that I'm surprised as I ascribed ALL problems I had during my decade of  agony to perimenopause. I first became aware of the pain in my outer ear after I'd suffered a migraine for four days (another symptom) during which I spent most of the time in bed. This was in 2010 and I was 52. Last period 06/2013, so I'm offically in menopause.

Eventually I constructed a foamrubber contraption with a hole in it to give space to my ear when lying on my side, ha ha! It was always my right side because that used to be my favourite side to sleep on.

As I have migraines less and less - can't even remember exactly when last, but it was some months ago - I only occasionally have outer earache these days.

I've only ever tackled any hormone-related problems with natural meds and new, healthier thought processes. In the end we have to weather through it. It isn't any easier for those on HRT because it seems that they still keep certain problems and when they go off them they still get hot flushes and what not.

It's far from natural for a woman of 61 to still have her hormones regulated with HRT (my sister). Doctors don't tell you, or they just don't know, what the long-term side effects are. Thanks, but no thanks.

What many people are not aware of is that doctors and hospitals are BUSINESSES, people. Most of them are not in it for the love of YOU. Help heal your own body. You are intelligent. Your body listens and you can ask it questions. Applied Kinesiology can help some.

• Posted

That ia so funy! I have had that I was just assuming I must have slept funny somehow. I it just admit it is not everday but it is consistant. To the point if I am doing my hair and the bush hits it the pain is horrible. Even when just waking up sometimes it feels very painful and I can't explain the pain. I had my boyfriend check it as well to see if there was somethere I couldn't see and nope.

• Posted

Yes I get this too. I didn't used to get it before peri so I assume it is peri related.
  • Posted

Hi Helen 16248

I'm actually menopausal and am getting a pain at the back of my ear like a shooting pain. I wondered if the pain you're referring to is like a shooting pain? The one I get is really annoying .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.