Painful gallbladder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I was in A&E over the weekend with the most excrutiating back pain I've ever experienced. The pain was on my right hand side and had kept happening over the last week after eating. The Dr at the hospital diagnosed biliary colic although they did check for kidney stones as well .

I went to my GP today as advised to book a scan. He was angry that they didn't do it there and then at the hospital! He also carried out an X-Ray to check my kidneys - results due Friday. On top of all of this my Vit-D deficiency symptoms seem to have come back - bone and muscle pain, weakness and fatigue. 

Since my last attack on Sunday, I've had tenderness in the right side of my back, in the kidney area. Is this normal with gallstones?

I'm just so fed up right now, I had a miscarriage in February and I've not felt myself since then, its like one thing after another. This in turn doesn't help my health anxiety as I keep worrying that there's something more sinister going on.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, oh dear you really have gone through it this year haven't you. Yes your doctor is right they should've done an ultrasound at a&e but hopefully you should get an appointment very quickly. They may phone you up today to arrange one or tomorrow once they've had the referral from your doctor which doesn't take long  with emails.

Yes tenderness is normal with gallbladder problems and it quite often goes straight through to your back, I know mine was quite often in the back and upto the shoulder blades. They did kidney blood tests to double check and all were fine for me.  If they think its gallbladder then try to stick to low fat food or nothing rich, spicy or fried as this does effect the gallbladder and see how you feel.

Keep me updated with everything and I'll reply.  Take care of yourself and don't worry. x

• Posted

Thank you, I should have my ultrasound in the next three weeks apparently. They did do blood tests at the hospital, no liver blockage although there was slight inflamation that they weren't concerned about. Blood did show in my urine which is why my doctor sent me for an xray today - results due Friday. I'm just utterly fed up and I am a massive worry wort, I just want to feel healthy again. 

• Posted

Yes I know the feeling. I had blood in my urine but it ended up being nothing. My liver results were slightly up too but nothing they were overly worried about. 

Keep me updated with how things are going. Take care x

• Posted

When I first went to a and e with my gallbladder I wasn't scanned either. Told to go to my gp to organise it. I waited 6 weeks then a further 8 weeks to see a surgeon after the scan confirmed gall stones. I then waited 3 weeks for surgery.

• Posted

Its horrible waiting isn't it. Did your back muscles ache after your attack?

• Posted

No I never really suffered pain in my back all my pain was at the front right under my ribs right where the gall bladder sits. Once the pain of an attack had settled though I was left with tenderness in that area for a good few days. In the end I was having attacks so often that I wasn't getting any relief in between

• Posted

So sorry you're going through all this!  Hopefully you'll get a scan soon.  Everyone is slightly different when it comes to gallbladder symptoms.  As Victoria said, it's best to eat low fat.  You might also avoid acidic foods and caffine.  Others need to steer clear of gluten and dairy. Instead of eating three large meals a day, you could try smaller meals that you eat more frequently. Try to keep yourself hydrated, though.

I also have health anxiety so I know how difficult it is to wait for tests, then wait for results.  It can be so scary!  

Please try to rest and take care of yourself while you're going through this.  Let us know how you get on! xx 

• Posted

Sounds like it may be gallstone related. I was misdiagnosed at first with kidney stones and also have Vit D deficiency. My symptoms were upper rh back pain just under shoulder blade and central abdominal pain which felt like my stomach was about to explode. My attacks sometimes went on for three days. I also experienced aching joints and fatigue. Hope this is helpful.
  • Posted

so the attack happened on Sunday and I'm still feeling wiped out and achy, I keep getting the odd twinge in my right back as well. Is this all normal? I just hope that my scan appointment comes through asap as I'm scared to even drink water!

• Posted

You need to drink otherwise you'll get dehydrated. Yes all your symptoms are either gallstones or the gallbladder not working correctly as the symptoms are similar and yes it does go into your back. Mine is more in my back than in the front. You will feel wiped out, it really does take it out of you so don't worry. 

Keep eating small amounts and drinking plenty of fluids.

Let me know when your appointment comes through. x

• Posted

Hi there, I really feel for you, like you say the pain in so intense it's insane, just for your peace of mind, I was told the last time I was in the A&E for the same thing that they DO NOT do exploratory testing at all in A&E (only x-rays and blood etc, unless you present with possible cardiac attack), that is for your consultant to do, I would suggest that if the scan that is done at the GP and the results come back that you ask for a referal, the consultant will then run a series of tests.  I do hope that you get this resolved, it can impact life on every level but also do be aware that this often takes time. Stick to a low fat diet and try not to stress.  Love and blessings to you and do let us know how things go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.