Painful thumbs 😩

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’ve got osteoarthritis in both thumb joints, I’m 48 & work as a quality auditor but recently even writing is painful.  This weekend has been particularly bad with shooting pains in both thumbs that catches my breath.  I’ve another 19 years before I can retire what can I do feel like my hands are worn out now!? 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Talk to a surgeon, there is quite a bit they can do for you. I saw my surgeon for about 5 years before it was time to do my first finger joint replacement only a few years older than you. For me it was a turning point as the pain was completley gone and that is priceless. I only have limited movement bit who cares when you are pain free. Since then I have had 2 more finger joint replacements, the last one a couple of weeks ago. 

I also had a debridement done where he filed down some bone spurs which were causing me a lot of pain. Thats why you need to see a hand surgeon, get an xray done so they can identify why you are in pain. If they cant see it on the xray then they need an mri which told us 100% why I was in so much pain. 

I highly recommend joint replacement surgery as you will be pain free. 

• Posted

See a orthopedic doctor and he can access the thumbs and most will recommend cortisone injections to help with swelling and a thumb brace to protect the joints. Rest the joints ice them take antiflammatories . Take care of your thumb joints . I wear a hand glove brace Fixx glove,easy on easy off at night to rest the joints.
  • Posted

In the meantime, could you use a voice recorder instead of writing? there is software that will type stuff up for you from you talking, and I think it's got better over the years. (Never used it myself, but have worked with people who have).

• Posted

I also have osteoarthritis in both of my thumbs. Mine is at the base of the thumb the meaty part of the thumb where it meets the palm. I get wonderful relief by wearing a thumb brace. You can buy them on Amazon or any neighborhood drug store.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.