Painful tongue

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have suffered with anxiety for many years but as of late things have got bad with health anxiety, this morning I awoke with a bit of a sore throat and slight earache.  My tongue is very red and sore.

I think I know the reason but am not sure, I havent brushed my teeth or rinsed my mouth for months please help me.  I lost my husband 2.5 years ago and am not coping very well on my own.  Please get in touch

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean

Im sorry for your loss  and with anxiety on top I cant be easy for you.no matter how long its been.

Have you been to see you doctor recently mayb ethey can help.

Maybe speak to a family menber or friend let them know you are struggling a bit

If its going to make you mouth feel better then you should at least gargle with mouthwash.

You are amoung friends here we are all sufferers

Stay strongbiggrin.

• Posted

i can sympathise, i went through a terrible time of anxiety starting in 2014, and like you everything stopped - i didnt shower or brush my teeth for many months. i too started having problems with a sore and red tongue.  It can also be due to reflux, even if you dont feel it - its very common with anxiety i believe
  • Posted

Hi Jean,

I saw your post and wanted to offer some help. I struggle with health anxiety myself, and it has been worse since the death of my friend just over a year ago. My friend was 29 years old when he died, and I cant seem to get over this health anxiety.

Heath anxiety is awful, but you can get through this. There is a prayer that I turn to for help, and it can help for those who are religious and non-religious.

God, give me grace to accept with serenity

the things that cannot be changed,

Courage to change the things

which should be changed,

and the Wisdom to distinguish

the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,

Enjoying one moment at a time,

Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,

Taking, as Jesus did,

This sinful world as it is,

Not as I would have it,

Trusting that You will make all things right,

If I surrender to Your will,

So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,

And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

This prayer is supposed to show you that life is one day at a time, and not everything is in your control. But, you owe it to yourself and to your happiness to keep pushing forward.

how long have you had health anxiety for?

• Posted

no offence at all, but we need to remember this is a health orientated group, not a religious one.  While religion is very important and helpful to some, we cant assume that others are comfortable with a religious based answer.  We need to keep them seperate for the good of everyone
    • Posted

For sure, I understand your opinion completely. 

The prayer I used, though mentioning Jesus specically, is actually used by non-religious groups as well, such as alcoholics, to treat each day as it's own and to remind yourself that you are human.

sorry for the offence. 

• Posted

indeed for some its not an issue, and for me  - i have no real opinion on it, but i know there are some that feel they then cannot get better without a religious viewpoint. its just something we need to keep in mind
    • Posted

I started getting health anxiety when I was 38 just as as I started the menopause.  Now I am 58 and feel awful.  It was much easier when I had my husband.  Your prayer means a lot to me.  I will print it off and say it at the begining and the end of the day
    • Posted

sounds good, if you ever need anything, post on here or feel free to send me a PM!

you are not alone in this.

Good luck and all the best!

• Posted

I must politely reply to your good intentions jmcg. I think ALL advice is important to be aired here. Non-religious, physical, religious and opinions in general. I receive advice that works for me and some that doesn't. There have been some really good religious-based posts and and really good posts that are not religious. Just because one reply is religious, does not mean it is not important. When we are all suffering, why not try everything. While I happen to be Christian, I would not want another religion, or lack thereof, to be silenced. Please, just be open to a forum where ANYTHING THAT MIGHT JUST SAVE US from this nightmare is fair and accepted.
    • Posted

If people want religious support theres a lot of those forums. I'm not religious and I'm not at all interested in religious rhetoric in a healthcare forum. Should we start talking about cars or how to fix TVs etc? No because they are irrelevant. While they are relevant to you, you shouldn't make the automatic assumption that other people want to read it. Imagine a non religious person looking for help, they come across an area of interest and find it littred with religious phrasing. The scientific medical aspect of the thread is then watered down. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with religious posts,just as theres nothing wrong with posts about car maintenance - they just need to be in the right place
    • Posted

Well, jmcg...if someone had a therapy that worked to take away terrifying anxiety with a regime of fixing cars or TVs, I would more than welcome that advice here! Interesting, in this very thread, the patient hoping for help with her anxiety, was so thankful for the post that you are complaining about. Again, it was perfectly ok, for that advice to be given on the site. If a prayer is not what helps you...ignore it. Again, we all need EVERYTHING that may help us through this. We do not need to restrict reasonable conversation. Jean, I do pray that you beat this beast in any way you can! Take care everyone. Together we can grow!
  • Posted

Since you stated that you have not brushed nor rinsed your mouth/teeth for months it most likely is normal for your to encouter these symptoms, maybe it is just small infections, sore throat is pretty normal as well as redness in your throat, not sure about tongue though. Check out with a dentist is the best option there. 

For the anxiety remember that everything you are feeling is in your head, no where else but your head. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.