Pains in lungs and chest .with barrets osphagus

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone .I have barrets osphagus and silent reflux.

I constantly have pains in my lungs .it feels like in chest .but definitely my lungs have it all time striking pains and dull aches. And after eaten .aswell feel like when I breath in got bubbles on them. Anybody had anything similar

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

"Silent Reflux" is one of the many names given to what is properly termed "Extra-Oesophageal Reflux"; another is "LPR". Visit the www DownWithAcid org uk free book / website and read the chapter about it in the reflux section to understand it better.

Essentially, reflux from the stomach can carry contents into the oesophagus where, if it is acidic, over time it can cause the development of Barrett's Oesophagus as a protection for that organ. Continuing full column, it can breach the upper oesophageal sphincter and aspirate into the airways.

Although acid suppressants can make the refluxate less damaging, even Non-Erosive Reflux can cause the problems you describe.

You need to try and manage the reflux aspect of your acid reflux by following the lifestyle guidelines about eating little and often, etc.

(And, yes, I have experienced what you describe. For me the solution was to have reflux reduction surgery: a fundoplication. )

• Posted

hanks for your reply, i already have barretts . i have had it noe for about 5 years , and i am 29. to be honest it really worries me. 

always have pain in my lungs . sore throat , and always need to clear my throat . i take 40mg of omeprazole daily. i am in the process of cleaning my diet up to be perfect . i just find it frustrarting to be honest. 

some weekends i go out and have the odd bottle of beer oi do not drink much. but when i have a couple lf bottles. i really enjoy it, but then worry qbout any damage . i looked into the surgery , but heard a few people on here say that they had a lot of problems with it . 

• Posted

thanks for your reply, i already have barretts . i have had it noe for about 5 years , and i am 29. to be honest it really worries me. 

always have pain in my lungs . sore throat , and always need to clear my throat . i take 40mg of omeprazole daily. i am in the process of cleaning my diet up to be perfect . i just find it frustrarting to be honest. 

some weekends i go out and have the odd bottle of beer oi do not drink much. but when i have a couple lf bottles. i really enjoy it, but then worry qbout any damage . i looked into the surgery , but heard a few people on here say that they had a lot of problems with it . 

• Posted

You will always find scare stories - and those who had a bad experience are more likely to be posting about it. However, A study published in Surgical Endoscopy in 2014 reviewed the durability of Laparoscopic Fundoplication over 20 years and concluded, "Long-term results from the early experience with LF are excellent with 94 % of patients reporting only occasional or fewer reflux symptoms at 20-year follow-up. However, 18 % required surgical revision surgery to maintain their results. There is a relatively high rate of daily dysphagia but 90 % of patients are happy to have had LF." 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.