Pam's progress total knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 3 weeks post op. Stayed awake during the TKR , and had no problems with that .discharged after 3 nights . Really bad pain for the first 12 days .not only in the the right operated knee but in the left awaiting knee. Not even morphine would touch it. Stockings to wear for 6 weeks and in this heat not nice, but I am still wearing them. Really bad allergic reaction to we think the blood thinner drugs , covered, and I mean covered pictures to prove it lol in great hives and spots that itched so badly I changed to blood thinning injections that I still have to use for  another  week , to help prevent blood clots .the allergy took a week to clear and left me exhausted. At that point the thought of a second knee op , went straight out of the window lol. 

Now the good stuff , I started exercises before my op, and carried them on daily even through the pain . my bend is 105 and my straight is 8, I find straightening hardest . Yesterday I managed a flight of stairs walking like an adult !! It wasn't easy and I couldn't come down the same .but I was so pleased , It must be. 2 years since I have managed that. I am 67  (whispered that ) I have to learn to walk with the crutches and tuck my bum in and keep my back straight as I tend to bend over , again a habit after such a long time in pain. So keep up the exercises, they really do help. We are off on a touring caravan holiday tomorrow , and really ready for it now . 

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam, glad 2 hear that after a few teething problems ur getting there, keep up the good work & things can only get better 😀 105° bend is pretty good going after 3 wks so give urself a pat on the back, I struggled more with the straight leg on both of my knees after surgery, u think it would b the other way round? It's hard 2 change ur posture after u've been so used 2 holding ur body in that position for any length of time but I'm sure u'll get there in time? Enjoy ur holiday & don't 4get the stockings lol, have a great time & take care, keep ur fingers x'd 4 me as I'm in this afternoon 2 have my left hip replaced 😃
    • Posted

Tom those compression socks are thumb killers.. 

My thumbs r shot.. Next up...thumb joints...!

• Posted

Hips are a piece of cake lol. Good luck , I am sure all will go  well, keep us informed x
    • Posted

I am thinking compression stockings and shorts , new holiday look lol , add in some suspenders wow lol . That could scare a few lol 
    • Posted

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀 u make me smile, ur an inspiration 2 everyone on this site, I can't tell u how much I h8 wearing them things, I live in shorts so not the 1 if I need 2 pop to the local store 4 anything, I'm sure all the folks where I live think I'm a x dresser? 😂
    • Posted

Thanx Pam, I'll be comparing the THR with the TKR & let u know how it's going? 😃
    • Posted

Lol Pam, I must admit they'd most probably look better on u than me 😃
    • Posted

I am not sure about that lol. But I can use the excuse my big fat knees are because they are swollen , I won't say they are always like that . I won't get away with it next year lol 
    • Posted

Sorry Tom.. at least u won't be forced forced to do butt squeezes every day!! 

thats a different comparison .. U can rent a machine to move UR knee after surgery.. Keep it movin movin...wait that was happy feet! ???

the caption on the Kitty says. "Cow poop ,yes I definately stepped in it again"! 

• Posted

What fantastic positive news!  Like you, I have to have the other knee sorted but, unlike you, at only 5 weeks post op, the thought horrifies me at the moment.  However, my 'bad knee' reminds me every time I move that it has to be done.  Bit like childbirth I hope ..... the bad memories fade in time and I'll be ready physically and, almost more importantly, mentally to go ahead with it.

Have a wonderful holiday.

• Posted

Wow Pam u r so brave I have both knee in a lot of pain. After THR on both hip it's so mess up the knees. Just checkin in with this group. Sounds familiar to THR group.

either way it's so painful at first and gradually like THR pain begins to slowly leave as strength and d'être inaction to get this over and done with already.. It gets so tiresome .. I hope and pray for u all with Ykr UR healing journey is filled with all that u need to 

for a full and speedy recovery and life will be back as u want it ti be full of all the things  luv doing.

healing prayers sent UR way.

• Posted

Well done, Pam! It's encouraging to hear how you've overcome setbacks. And that the pain diminishes. I'm 11 days post op and still in a lot of pain at night when I struggle to get comfortable. I am working hard at the exercises and can feel slight improvements in mobility. I don't think I suffered so much pain pre op as others, only found it difficult to walk long distances so I'm really hoping this pain goes soon. I'm impressed that you're going on a caravan holiday. Take care, and stop regularly to stretch your legs. Hope you have a lovely time.
    • Posted

It's only about 1 and 1/2 hour drive , and then meeting up with 50 others for a rally , doing lots of silly things lol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.