Panic about endoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sorry I just posted here,but i had to do another one,im going to do endoscopy tomorrow,im so panic i cant sleep,its like im getting panic attack one by one,im terrified if i have a stomach cancer and im panic about risks of endoscopy if some one had cancer and if i use dat instrument of endoscopy i will have cancer too oh omg n list is going i know they r realy stupid thought but still they r on mind im 24 years old how was ur experience?i would like to listen it

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Although the last post on this thread is a little old, I want to weigh in just in case it helps someone.

I just had my first endoscopy this morning.  Going into it, I was absolutely terrified.  I not only suffer from anxiety, but have an awful gag reflex, and therefore the thought of having a tube go down my throat was simply awful.  Last night, I could barely sleep, and this morning, I was feeling sick to my stomach.  It was out of sheer willpower that I kept on going, and got myself to the surgery center.  Once there, here is what I experienced:

Arrived, and had to fill out a bunch of paperwork. 

Got called to the back for the pre-procedure prep.  This simply involved getting my blood pressure, temperature, and pulse.  At this point, my IV was also started.  I told the nurse that I was feeling super anxious, and the give me some medicine which started to relax me.

Thirty minutes later, I'm told that it is my turn, and my gurney gets wheeled into the procedure room.

Once inside the room I chat with the doctor.  I find out that I don't need to get off the gurney -- I just have to turn on my left side.  Next, they give me a bite splint.  Note that this splint does NOT go into the back of your mouth like a dental splint often does.  It simply is a small plastic tube which you hold between your front teeth.

Next, the doctor says that they are going to push the med to place me into a twighlight sedation.  I close my eyes, and wait.

Nothing happens.  I hear people talking, but it doesn't appear that they are pushing the meds, or are starting anything.  I open my eyes to see what is going on -- and SURPISE -- I am in the recovery room!  Everything is done!!! 

I ended up feeling rather silly, wondering what on earth I was so deathly afraid of.  This procedure is an absolute piece of cake.  For anyone who is struggling with the thought of going through it -- take it one step it a time.  It's easy, and you'll be back home before you know it. 

• Posted

Yea its not realy dat much terrifying i didnt know dat till i did it dat day,thank you for sharing your story,hope it will be helpful for those who are panic about dat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.