panic and anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I've been put on 20mg of citalopram after the suicide of my brother 7months ago. I have been on it for a month and feel worse, no appetite, sickness, diarrhoea and a general feeling of dread and panic as soon as I wake up. I know mine is a culmination of traumatic grief but I just want to get rid of the panic as its so debilitating and makes my thoughts race, negatively! Anyone got any similar experience or advice please?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Jane sorry to hear about your brother, please stick with the citalopram it will help you lose these panic and anxiety feelings that I know are so bad, it took me about 7 weeks to feel the benefits, but boy is it worth it, to feel normal again. have a look at other Citalopram pages as you will get support there too, also no one will understand like the people on here whom have experienced this awful feeling, but I promise it will get better. 

Stay strong, stick with the citalopram, I started on 20mg for 2 months then went to 40mg and I have never looked back, I never want to go to that place again.

Take care,

Anne confused

• Posted

Hi Jane

I agree with Ann. A month in is still very early days. I am so dreadfully sorry about the passing of your brother. I realise how very significant the trauma must be on you and your family.

Citalopram will help you immensely, but you do need to give it more time. For some reason anxiety is heightened when first taking citalopram, but it will definitely pass. I lost loads of weight due to zero appetite and nausea. This too will pass once your depression starts to lift.

It will also take time to heal from losing your brother Jane, although you will never forget or totally lose the pain, it will become bearable, and the intense pain will give way a bit to allow you to revisit and cherish those lovely memories of him.

my prayers are with you. You will come through this, force yourself to eat something daily. I know it's hard. Consider a protien shake and a banana. I lived on this diet for weeks!

God bless x

• Posted

Hi Jane

please keep in touch ♥ so glad you have got a protein drink. Force yourself to get regular proteins this will help your recovery xxx

• Posted

My brother also committed suicide ! I understand your pain and your situation ! In addition , prior to suicide , he decided to make with my 2 grandparents. I lost three people in the same day. I also take the celexa and I think I 'll take a lifetime.Leave a little time to make the celexa effect. I reached a welfare after six weeks of treatment.

Take care!!

• Posted

Yes, I have had similar experiences of panic, anxiety, and fear especially through tough times in my life. And, these attacks seem to come and go despite the events that were trauamatic have left. For me, I have tried: Lavender aromatherapy, Herbal teas: Chamomile, and lavender tea, Ginger tea for nausea, Accupressure mat for relaxation, Tuning Forks (for balancing energy), Cupping Therapy for detox of toxins in body, Journaling, Mandala Coloring, Music Therapy (anything relaxing), Affirmation Cards (amazon sells some positive affirmation cards), Breathing techniques, Yoga, Prayer, Speaking with others, Vitamins and Supplements to keep body nourished, and diet change (maybe remove one junk food that doesn't serve you anymore, or just eat less of it rather than cut it out completely). I hope this helps you. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Joy

Thanks for your reply. I too have tried NLP, TFT, homeopathic remedies, etci am going to ring my doctor today as I'm really struggling with the lack of sleep and have resorted to alcohol and ssleeping pills which aren't working either. I know its not good for me but I feel quite desperate at the moment. Just started drinking protein shakes as I'm just not hungry at all. I think if I could sleep it would make a difference but its a vicious cycle. Apart from that I'm fine!

Jane

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear about your horrible time. The citalopram would start to help soon but you are grieving and only time would help that as it is a natural feeling that anyone would feel. Have you tried talking therapy? Maybe that would help you deal with the feelings that you may be keeping hidden from others.

Hope you gave a better year this year, you deserve it xx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up