Panic and anxiety disorder! Feeling positive just hate the physical symptoms :/

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have posted here a few times now and have received some helpful replies. I've also answered a few people's forums too as I hope that I can also be of help. 

It's kinda strangely reassuring to know that I'm not alone on all of this (anxiety and panic attacks) I didn't realise just how many people go through this awful nightmare. 

I've had a lot of stress recently - lost my job due to anxiety and then anxiety increased because that meant financial problems, I've recently moved into my own place so now have rent & bills to pay etc. So I took on way too much at once and then I lost my income and everything else fell apart. 

Anyway, I'm trying my best to deal with the panic attacks. They can come on at any time and very unexpected. More common at nicht though. I used to do my best to fight them but that made them worse. Now I have learnt to accept them, do my best to focus on my breathing, make myself comfortable, play music and wait for them to pass. Sometimes they last for a few hours, sometimes they last 5 mins. The ones that last longer i struggle to hold it together but I'm still here. I feel that I'm doing better than I was. At least a little and  I'm not taking medication anymore. Citalopram disagreed with me and made me 100x worse & I have taken mirtazapine once and I didn't like it. My life is completely out of my control and taking something that sedated me makes me feel even more out of control, plus it's nearly Xmas and i don't want to become a zombie. 

Wow I have typed a lot. rolleyes my point here is that I seem to experience new symptoms every day. I have major health anxiety, I panic about my health. When I have panic attacks the symptoms make me fear that I'm making a stroke or heart attack. But I'm getting to grips with that now. But I just mean in general day to day, I experience pains in my legs, pains in my mouth, pains in my head, restless legs, painful hands, shooting pains and once I've freaked out about a symptom and convince myself it is a symptom of anxiety - another symptom appears and it's just never ending. Chest tightness is the worst for me. I get it during the day but i tend to hyperventilate for no apparent reason during the day.

I've also started feeling like I'm not here and feel detached from the world, when I look at myself in the mirror it is like Someone else is staring back at me. I can deal with that though, I just tryy best to go to sleep and I usually feel better in the morning. 

Anyway I'm done with my rant / vent. I feel that posting here and getting my thoughts out there helps. Thanks so much if you actually read all of this. Anxiety / depression and panic attacks are just awful but we just can't let it take over. We have to fight it! Xx

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Another thing on mirtazapine is that my GP warned me that it can cause weight gain and I have only just become comfortable with my weight. I'm about 10 stone and I'm 5 ft 7 but I'm comfortable in my own skin and I used to have major issues with my self image , I used to starve myself for weeks and I don't want to end up harming myself that way again x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This is exactly what I'm going through sad I'm so sorry to hear that. this is causing me so much hired I can't cope anymore. What are your head symptoms?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that too, I can't cope anymore either. I have been woken up by pain in my foot and my leg felt weak/numb earlier so I panicked and my first thought was type 2 diabetes. I have new symptoms that I have to get used to everyday. It's awful. 

The pains in my head differ all the time. They're not extreme, but I notice every single twinge in my body. I get shooting pains above my right eye quite often, sometimes I get shooting pains at the back of my head. It all depends how my mind wants to torture me

Hope you feel better soon

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My head symptoms are really freaking me out, and they are constant. I am so nervous and I can't help but constantly think I have a brain tumor or something serious. 

Do your head symtoms ever go away? And how long have these been going for?

My doctor is sending me to get a CT scan tomorrow just too clear my mind.

But I feel like these symptoms feel so serious and like something bad... I'm soooo nervous.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My head symotoms come and go, usually whenever I think about how I usually get head pains, head pains appear. At the moment I'm too worried about my legs so I have a break from thinking that I have an anuerysm 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This is exactly how I feel! I am happy in myself and my life but every small twinge or pain in my body and I am convinced I am going to have a heart attack or a stroke. As you mention, the physical symptoms are constant and new things happening every day. I did have a period of about 6 weeks where I felt 'normal' but now its back sad I know just what u mean about feeling detached too, I find my self in conversations with people where they must think I'm so rude as I don't feel like I'm really there and must seem so distant.  anxiety sucks..
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up