Panic/anxiety attacks?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I'm currently finding it hard to breathe and have cold shivers but have got my fan on my face as I tend to get a hot face,I suffer from regular attacks but is that all normal? Also I get nauseous and a little light headed and a fast heart rate from it. But this time I've got all my normal symptoms but my heart rate is 66bpm? Usually it's over 100 during an attack? Is this a normal thing? Cus I've never heard of a normal HR during attacks or is this something else? Cus I do worry about my Heart alot I'm 21 male with normal ecgs but I have a heart rate that's rather slow (50s) when lying down and I've seen it as high as 160 just from walking 1 mile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your ecg s are normal so that is good.   As long as your doctor says you’re heart is ok, then you should be all set.

yes it’s normal for your heart rate to be in the 60s. That’s actually a great rate.    Heart rates in this 50s are what many athletes have because they are in shape.

I have had normal heart rates during anxiety

all your symptoms are very common with anxiety. I have had all of them many times. When you get short of breath it’s important to know how to breathe properly during anxiety. Go to YouTube and look up some great short meditation and breathing. It helps you gain control. One is called mindfulness breathing guided meditation 10 minutes. Many to choose from.  There are also meditations for anxiety, sleep, overthinking .  

Try to slow everything down and just breathe. Relax your mind and breathe the  Way they teach you on YouTube. You’re going to be OK. Practice this alot.

it’s also important to have a physical check up at least  once a year by your doctor.  

If you have anxiety due to life events, counseling can help you manage.

Take Care! ??🙂👍

• Posted

Hi.... I have also felt dizzy and lightheadedness when my heart starts to race my resting heart rate is usually about 74 but sometimes it can go up as high as 150 something when I am just sitting down and all the sudden it starts going really fast I have the Fitbit which has the heart rate on it so I monitor it and I can watch How I sleep and stuff and when I have anxiety attacks or panic attacks I can see how much they go up. I was getting shortness of breath along with the feeling dizzy and sweaty and then clammy so I had my doctor give me a heart stress test and EKG and everything came out fine some I guess as long as you to do some breathing exercises it will make you feel better but I would try and ask your doctor for a heart stress test
  • Posted

How fit are you?  If you are unfit and walk a mile and have a HR of 160, then you need to do it more until you have a HR of 120.  practice makes perfect in this case.  If on the other hand you are ultra fit and have a HR of 160 after walking a mile then get it looked at.

A HR of 50 when lying down probably isnt that bad given your age.  I get about 65 (in my forties) while lying down.

The thing with panic attacks, for me anyway, is you get yourself worked up and everything in your body goes nuts.  I was in hospital a few weeks back with suspected heart attack which i think was actually a really bad panic attack that had manifested chest pain and heart attack symptoms.  ECG and troponin test were both ok, but i couldn't breathe and had massive pain in my chest.  Two co-codamol, a mg of diazepam and 1 hour of sleep on a trolley and everything was back to normal.  A second ECG also came back normal.

So stop everything.  Close your eyes.  Take some deep breaths.  breathe in, count to 5, exhale.  Repeat.

Also stop worrying about your HR.  The stress of worrying isn't helping you.  Anything else thats stressing you, lose that too.  Just go with the breathing, relax.

For long term, therapy is your best bet.  Diazepam might be useful for acute attacks.  I would say if you do go with it, try a quarter of a tab.  A whole tablet will put me on the floor, and for an attack all you need is something to take the edge off it.  Also dont use them a lot, like no more than twice a week.  They are addictive if you use them a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.