panic attack

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all can anyone on here recommend hypnosis for panic attacks as ive tryed meds and therpy but they dont seem to work thanks in advancesad

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

There are many different kinds of therapy, maybe you've just not found the right one yet? CBT never worked for me, but I'm in CAT and it'd much more effective I think
  • Posted

Hi Landy,

I'm sorry to say it didn't work for me but I suppose it depends on the Hypnotist you see,I know quite a few people who have benefitted from a visit,but it doesn't come cheap.

What meds were you given as a matter of interest? And what in particular brings on these panic attacks?

There are many alternate therapies available but not all people respond or improve with the treatment.

Hard to understand why medication doesn't help,but obviously you need some help,so I should try hypnotism,or CAT,or CBT,but do see your doctor again there must be something that can help.

I wish you well and hope you find a remedy.

Regards Malc

• Posted

I think also it depends on the aim. To resolve issues so they no longer are distressing really does take therapy - but it does take time. Medication and I would imagine hypnotisms aim is to help with symptoms, they won't be able to resolve issues. I agree that seeing a doctor again to discuss what other therapy options are available  
  • Posted

hi all ive tryed cbt therpy and meds i tryed are amitriptyline and tryed all SSRI,S i have valium 2mg if atack cums on but id prefer to prevent the attack valium is great and i love to take it to prevent attacks but its very addictive il explain a bit more so ye all understand my situtation im a firefighter and was at a bad accident after xmas and every since ive been getting panic attacks and always fearing the worst
  • Posted

Being in church and having a relationship with Jesus Christ has helped me tremendously.  I hope this is not offensive to you. Praying for you.
  • Posted

Don't know what else to suggest other than UR doc .
  • Posted

Hi Landy again,

Understandable to have these problems after an accident,however don't worry about addiction,2 mg is very low dosage,i've been on 10mg for some time in the past,and had no trouble coming off them,I think too much is made of addiction sometimes,many people who I know who have been prescribed Valium/Diazepam have abused the drugs,often taking alcohol with them,therein lies the problem,if you follow your doctor's instruction you will be fine.

One little thing that helped me get over my panic attacks was to always have an empty polythene bag handy and at the onset of the attack I put my mouth in the neck of the bag,gripped the end and did 'rabbit breathing',i.e breath in and out very quickly,and usually it calmed everything down,it's just remembering to get to the bag,as you well know these attacks can take away logical and planned ideas away,but it helped me,but of course the underlying problem remains.

You could ask your doc for something like I take,which is Pregabilin,non-addictive and very good for anxiety,certainly the best drug I've ever had,but again I make sure I follow the prescribed dosage.

Hope things improve for you,I certainly wish you well,and looks like you have friends on here who can help you too,we're all individual,we all need something that works for us,just make sure you find your salvation.

Regards Malc

• Posted

As you explain the incident was work related are they providing you with medical/practical support? Hopefully.

One thing to remember is that to accept you have blown a fear up way out of proportion.

Of course you were scared in similar situations after an incident BUT now you have shifted and are fearful of the fear itself. Not of another accident.

You are frightened about how you are feeling.

Also with that comes the negativity that NOTHING is going to work. None of the tablets bar Valium which as you say is addictive.

I dont believe medication is the cure. For me it began with accepting how I felt (which was dreadful) and then I had relaxation therapy to learn how to calm myself when the fear developed. Thats what I would really recommend. And be positive. Dont say "it wont work" Give yourself affirmation and say daily "it is working"

I am typing this as a calm person who lived in terror for years and let my fears rule my life. From 20-30 at least. 30 years later and I have had 30 years of a calm happy life. If I could do it so can you....

• Posted

thanks everyone for all your advice i feel better already work have been great to me they pay all my medical bills and therpy so im ok that way thanks again everyone smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.