Panic attack/breathing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Sitting on my bathroom floor trying to get my breathing under control. Got the overwhelming feeling that I can't catch my breath. Breathing too fast and not feeling any relief from it. Mind feels tired and foggy. Doesn't help I've only had max of 4 hours sleep last night as was out late and also up early this morning chasing the kids round park all day in th heat. Hate feeling like this. Feel like I'm gonna just stop breathing

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, I am not going to preach to you but you said that you did not get in from partying and only had 4 hours sleep. You have answered the question yourself. How much did you drink? If you drink above average alcohol limits, lets say 15 units or a bottle of wine and shots as well; you may have 20 units to get rid of before you feel better Finish drinking at 04:00 and you consumed 20 units the liver can only get rid of one unit per hour. 4 hours sleep plus time to get home say 5.5 hours you still have 14.5 units of alcohol in your blood stream. You then run around after the kids but you don't drink enough. You are dehydrated, thirsty, have a fuzzy head.

Anxiety can also become more prominant when you have taken alcohol i.e. makes the problem for your anxiety 10 times worse. Your body increases your heart rate and you breathe much faster, so much so that you begin to hyperventilate. You feel that you cannot breathe, however you can. Learn to identify the trigger for your anxiety and work on that to help you to reduce it.

To help you on the way lets have a look at a miracle question.

One night you go to bed and have 8 hours continual sleep, during that period a miracle happens, the miracle is that the problem that is causing your anxiety dissapears but because you were asleep when the miracle happened you do not know that it happened.

How would you know that a miracle had happened? What would be different in your life? How would your life be with out your problem? What would change in your life?

Write down the answers and look at the positive outcomes because they will out number the negative feelings 10 to 1

Do drink water before going out, during your night out and when you get home. It will keep you hydrated and lessen the effects of the alcohol. Best regards Pete. 

• Posted

I didn't drink any alcohol last night that's the thing. Normally alcohol makes my anxiety sky high the next day but it's not the cause this time. But thank you I will try writing down answers.
  • Posted

hope you're better sarah! some tips i use: breathe in fir 4, hold for 7, out for 8. sometimes just deep breathing makes me hyperventilate. if i focus on counting, i do better. also, you can rub one side of your neck, slows your pulse fown, which helps with breathing and panic feeling.(but only one side at a time - you can pass out if you do both). also try a freezing cold glass of water or munching ice cubes - makes you feel your throat and chest, so you know you're getting breaths. take care!
    • Posted

Thank you for all these tips! Definitely going to be using them!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.