Panic attack/Chest pains.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could share thier views on my current issues or if they have experienced anything similar.

I'm Male 32, slim, fairly healthy (no smoking, occasional drinking). Fairly regularl workout routine.

End of November last year I admitted myself to ER as I thought I was having a heart attack, turns out I wasn't and the ECG results came back ok. I was relieved after being told, and that it was likely to be a panic attack and that I'd possibly injured my chest through over-training either punch bag or weights. A few months later the pain came back, I suspected this was because I had trained again too soon, even though I felt ok. 

Some chest discomfort is still present now, some tightness, shortess of breath and tickling sensation and has been there for a few weeks now. Seen my GP a few days ago and they mentioned that my blood pressure was high (140/90), this made me anxious further and I now monitor it at home every morning and night and log. Since then I have noticed my sleeping hasn't been great and I have lost my appetite somewhat.

I have noticed that blood pressure tends to go up after eating, then back to normal sometimes my heart races a little too and I can feel buzzed and my heart pounding. Also noticed a slightly bulging vein on my temple.

I think my anxiety around this issue lies in wondering if it's best to get fully checks just in case something is missed.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? Do you think I should go to GP again and ask for further tests or wait it out for a few weeks and see how it goes?

Many thanks,

Dan.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've been going threw the same thing since November... I've done a stress test many ekg's recent echocardiogram everything has come back normal blood work everything is normal bit i am still having the pains chest pressure they told me as well its anxiety panic attacks I've been like this every day all day. IF i were you i would go get a full exam to make sure everything is okay. I am still worried about all of this but i guess its something i need to deal with now. Good luck.
    • Posted

Your right. If heart tests, blood work done are good.  It is most likely anxiety.  We have to remind ourselves that this is our anxiety trying to rule our lives. The best thing we can do is accept that this is what it is.  The more we fight our anxiety the worse it gets. Finding ways to calm, self talk, CBT, meditation, mindfulness all help.
  • Posted

Sounds like anxiety, have had same feelings, heart palpitations, restless to little sleep.  Obessive thinking is common with anxiety.  Possible see regular doctor to rule out any physiological, get blood work.  I have heard that one thing to check is thyroid. If your thyroid is not functioning properly, it throws off all your body chemicals, adrenaline, seretonin (feeling good chemicals) hormones, etc.  May be start there.  Find ways to relax, fight stress, by consuming yourself with things you enjoy in the meantime. Try meditation, mindfulness.
  • Posted

Hi Dan - sounds like anxiety / panickiness to me, too. You ahpuld get further tests done, complete bloodwordkincluding iron levels, thyroid, cholesterol, etc. Think about magnesium - being too low in that can make anxiety worse, too. Rule out the physical causes, then focus on dealing with physical symptoms caused by anxiety and the adrenaline. It will be easier for you to accept the anxiety diagnosis, once you've ruled out what is worrying you. Meanwhile try deep belly breathing, yoga, meditation (great free short ones on itunes) and maybe avoid caffeine. Caffeine can be a big trigger. Good luck figuring it out! Heart is the thing I worry about most also - a year ago I was in a terrible place, but now through CBT and more mindfulness, exercise and yoga (and zero caffeine) things are much better. You can get through it!
  • Posted

I've gotten the same things A LOT. They did an EKG, blood work, urinalysis, & a lung x-ray. All of it came back perfect, apparently. I was told it was severe anxiety.
  • Posted

Thanks all. I had issues sleeping last night too. Woke at 2am, heart racing then again at 4, stayed awake for an hour and a half. Then tried sleeping again whilst constantly jolting waking myself for another few hours. This is very unlike me! I am tempted to exercise to try an relieve some of this stress, but at the same time I am concerned if I'm going to place strain on my heart if there is an issue.

I will see the doc tomorrow and request more tests to be sure.

• Posted

There are other ways of coping with anxiety other than exercise.  Don't get me wrong, exercise is one of the best things for anxiety.  But if you don't want to do that just yet.  Try guided meditation, trust me it works.  It takes pratice like everything else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.