Panic attack Triggers.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I used to have extreemly bad anxiety 24/7 for 5 years. I was diagnosed with GAD and PTSD. Now the PTSD is very much under control after lots of treatment.

My problem now is that pretty much all of my panic attacks are triggered by a few of the same situations. Genrally focused around worring about my Mother and Partner. Does anyone else have these same tiggers? Any adivice on how to lessen them? 

I find it very frustrating as does my partner. 

Thanks.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

My giess is focused if something should happen to them? Leaving you alone to care for yourself? The real issue isnt really focused on them. Think about it.
    • Posted

My anxiety is focused around worring something bad will happen to them causing them to get ill or pass away. My Father was very ill which resulted in him passing away when I was 18. Since I found out it was terminal an anxiety for those close to me dying developed. 

My partner knows I worry about him and he feels guilty about me not being able to stop worrying about him. It's not his fault  smile 

• Posted

Hi there

I know exactly how you feel. I'm like this with my mother and daughter. My mum is 83 and all I do is think about how I'm going to cope when she dies. I suffer with terrible anxiety and panic attacks that ruin my life.my dad died when I was 20 so I only have my mum now and I adore her. My daughter is 20 and has been having bad ear and head pain and dizziness, I've googled these symptoms and cancer comes up, I'm freaked out right now. All I ever do is Google symptoms and have terrible health anxiety. I know the symptoms to every cancer, and if I or my loved ones are ever ill that's what I always think it is. I'm obsesses and even though I've googled the symptoms I carry on rereading the symptoms over and over. If something happened to my daughter I couldn't cope and my life would be over. I'm in a bad way right now. Sorry for the rant. I hate my life snd I hate myself for been so weak😢😢😴

• Posted

You are not weak. Anxiety attacks can induce co dependency. Fear is hard to deal with. We all deserve medals for existing with this disorder. I hope your daughter feels better soon. A lot of sinus stuff has been going around.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your kind words. There's nothing worse than living your life in fear. X
    • Posted

hey there, this is totally understandable. 
    • Posted

I often have simialr issues.

you love your friends and your family, and there is nothing wrong with loving them.

what have you tried to stop the anxiety?

• Posted

Hi jp

I take paroxetine but have taken it for that long now that I actually think it's stopped working. I've had counselling again not helped. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm always going to be like this😢😢😢

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear you lost your Father when you were so young. It's nice to know someone else has been in a similar sitiuation to me. I also have a habit of looking up cancer symptoms... both for my loved ones and myself. 

You really aren't weak, your on here for a start talking about it. That takes streght, particularly for those with anxiety. 

Also, don't ever be sorry for ranting, Ranting is great! 

• Posted

Might be worth coming off that and swapping to something else. I used to be on meds. One of them I was on once stopped working but then I swaped to a different one and things were much better again. 

Have you tried CBT? I've had counselling before with many differnt people but found it useless. CBT however has helped me a lot. 

• Posted

Hi G

Thanks for your kind words. I was thinking of trying something else, but I hate the initial few weeks on the medication, but I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet.

Big hugs Lisa x

• Posted

Well you have explained why you keep having severe anxiety, googling symptoms for yourself and family.  I suggest you let the professionals make those determinations.  Otherwise you are causing your own misery!
    • Posted

Yes I'm aware of that. But it's an illness and I can't help it. I don't want to be like this
    • Posted

you can beat this! never give up!

do you have a therapist or a counsellor or anything?

• Posted

Hi jp

Yes I have a counsellor. Just started seeing her x

• Posted

To early to tell really. I don't feel any different at the moment x
    • Posted

fair enough.

if you ever need anything, post on here or feel free to send me a PM.

you are not alone.

good luck and all the best!

• Posted

Thanks jp that's much appreciated and the same to you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.